PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Post by Jagosaurus »

That's correct bud. PS2 ISOSs are moved to HDD via:
- PC WinHIIP
- Rip disc from PS2 tray via HDL/HDA (not OPL)
- LAN FTP

I agree it's strange there's no USB to HDD transfer method. You can do this for POPS on HDD. I'd put the PS1 bin/cue on USB, then transfer to my POPS HDD within Ulaunch. IIRC you can't even "see" OPL PS2 games folder from Ulanuch.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I wonder why no one ever coded OPL or a stand alone app to transfer games to the HDD from USB or disc?

I use to have HDA before I got FMCB with OPL, and I know you could rip retail discs with it but if I recall you couldn't rip backups (without a slide tool or flip top). I never used HDL... I know that it can rip retail discs, but can it rip backups?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:I wonder why no one ever coded OPL or a stand alone app to transfer games to the HDD from USB or disc?

I use to have HDA before I got FMCB with OPL, and I know you could rip retail discs with it but if I recall you couldn't rip backups (without a slide tool or flip top). I never used HDL... I know that it can rip retail discs, but can it rip backups?

I agree it's odd. Especially when it can be done easily for POPS on HDD.

For kicks try Ulaunch. I don't think you can even see the OPL/HDL ISOs on HDD. They're hidden. That alone is strange.

I also don't understand why OPL can't rip disc to HDD. Why was that function removed when HDL evolved into OPL development?

You mayyyy be able to view ISO files (not transfer/manipulate) from HDD Manager. I think I accidentally found them once. Kind of pointless if just viewing the game list bc you can do it from OPL.

I don't think a DVDR disc ISO will work at all without methods you mentioned above or mod chip. Strictly soft mod PS2 will only read them if ESR patched.

I've never tried ISO burn to HDL/HDA though. May be worth a shot if you a burn sitting around. I have an IDE to USB adapter that's less trouble (still a hassle though). Never bothered with FTP for PS2. Too much quirkiness compared to OG xbox FTP.

Rambling a bit 8) ... agree that no USB to HDD transfer for OPL is an oversight & strange OPL can't rip discs.

Rant over :D

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

My understanding for the reason there is no USB transfer is that the files can't be fragmented. In winhiip, I have to remove the games in reverse order that I added them until I remove the ones I no longer want and then re-add games until it's full.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote:My understanding for the reason there is no USB transfer is that the files can't be fragmented. In winhiip, I have to remove the games in reverse order that I added them until I remove the ones I no longer want and then re-add games until it's full.

Hmmm... I guess I've never removed games?

I think Ziggy & nightrnr rotate games. Yall run into this?

Thanks for pointing out. Seems like there would be a transfer manager that knows where to place file from USB to HDD for OPL, even if you couldn't delete others

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think that's only important if you're reading games over USB, because of the PS2's slow USB 1.1 speed. I have a phat PS2 with an internal HDD, so that was never a concern. Also, I don't ever fill the drive. I guess I don't use my PS2 all that often. I would only add a game if I wanted to play it, then usually remove it when adding another game.

I do have a SATA modified network adapter that I never got around to using. I have a spare 750 GB SATA drive. Speaking of, was there a partition size limit? I suppose I'll eventually get around to setting that up, at which point I'll probably try and get my entire collection on there at once, then only adding new games as needed.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Each PS2 game you add is it's own partition (also, minimum partition size is 128MB). So you really don't have to worry about it, Winhiip and/or HDLdumb add the partition(s) for you every time you add games.

Partitions can be created through "launchelf" too (like adding one for OPL (memory card support), or for emulator(s)), but everything extra is unallocated until needed. You do not copy actual PS2 isos this way (again, winhiip/HDLdumb does this for you).

Lastly, I don't rotate games very often, if ever. Winhiip has a limited fill fragments feature, but you have to have knowledge of your spaces (what you've deleted). If I delete a 1280MB game, it will fit another of the same size there or 2x 640MB games (or 10x 128MB partitions; you get the idea).

Elflauncher has an HDD manager (limited) that at least shows size and the order of your partitions. You can test of there's an empty spot by making a 128MB partition and seeing where it puts it (just not how big it really is).

One day I will update my selection, if the HDD doesn't for before then. Otherwise, I'm more likely to use a different drive altogether for new games.

Actually, I have 2 PS2's set up for OPL with 250GB drives each and a 3rd with a 30GB for small games (mostly CD format). I alternate systems more that hard drives :P (at least I used to, limited living spat atm :| , still have the 2 big PS2's accessible).
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

All good info. Didn't realize the partitions piece. WinHIIP or FTP it is.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Bumping this thread since it's a good resource, lots of good links.