The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nice! I have my HDD key backed up multiple places.

I put a new IDE drive in around 2016... but you never know. With JRocky's new tools you can null the key to all 000s.

How'd it end up?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Yes - it worked!
The previous picture I posted of the cable I made was of a bad cable - I didn't use it. I mistakenly had blue shielded wire on pin 3 but it was supposed to be on pin 8
Following these guides and pics.

My cable works even tho it looks like a dog's breakfast
I resoldered the cable I made and it melted the blue wire's shielding off. Here's the working cable:
https://anapan.ca/Anapan/xboxguide/20200529_012827.jpg
https://anapan.ca/Anapan/xboxguide/20200529_012855.jpg
https://anapan.ca/Anapan/xboxguide/20200529_023828.jpg
When looking at the main original pic:
Red (SCL) is still Red.
Blue (SCA) is Green.
Green (GND) is now Black wire with a Green shielded alligator Clamp. I ended up just clamping the RF shielding.
Original xbox owner injected the probes into the motherboard and I executed the read command. I'm extracting saves off the original hard drive and building a much bigger hard drive now.
Last edited by Anapan on Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have some random things to share...

I love sitting in front of a fire. My parents have a chiminea on their deck, and if it's summer then I'm usually drinking beer when sitting in front of it. If I know I'm gonna have a rip roaring fire going for a while, then I usually try and melt a glass bottle. It's not hard to get a fire hot enough to melt glass, but it's very hard to melt a glass bottle and then keep it from cracking or shattering. The trick is that you have to completely burry the glass in hot ash and let it cool as slow as possible. If it cools to rapidly, it will crack or shatter. After many attempts over the years of not getting a bottle out intact, I was finally able to get a couple!

Above is my best attempt so far, in terms of most melted without breaking. Below is is a super melted bottle (it was so hot it was approaching liquid) but a portion of it ended up cracking.

I was doing a lot of tube tweaking on my guitar amp head, and the back grate is held on by wood screws. After removing/replacing the wood screws a few times, the threads were already feeling pretty loose (and I was careful to always catch the original threads when replacing the screws). So I decided to put some machine screw inserts in it, and now I don't have to worry about stripping out the wood threads! It's hard to make out in the pic, but it's the four brass inserts in each corner...

My father wanted me to help him put in a temporary water spigot for my mother. She has a hernia right now, but they're waiting on the surgery because of the current pandemic. My mother is obsessed with watering everything with her watering can, but my father is concerned with her carrying it all around. There's only one water spigot in the backyard, and it's on one side of the house. So he wanted to put a temp spigot on the other side of the house. I helped him conceal a house from the spigot to the other side of the deck. I had some scraped of treated 2x4, so I cut a point into one end so I could hammer it into the ground. He bought a simple garden hose shutoff valve, and I installed it for him as such...

However, everything is made so poorly these days. This shutoff valve was brand new, and it leaks like crazy. It also kinda looks like hell. So he returned it, and I picked up a proper spigot with an adapter to connect a garden hose to it.

I showed this (second attempt) picture to my brother and he told me that I devalued their house. Good thing I didn't show him the first pic LOL. It's a little tacky, but I don't think it looks bad at all. It's only made to be temporary anyway. The only thing I'm embarrassed about is being too lazy to install a proper spigot on the other side of their house.

About 3 years ago I bought a tape deck, which is the first time I've had one in many years. I've enjoyed making some mixed tapes. I've done a few the "proper" way, recording each song one at a time and minding the gaps and all of that. But I've also cheated with one...

There was a playlist on YouTube, which has since been removed, that I use to listen to. It was just a perfect list of songs for a mixed tape. The right era (for me) and as a strange coincidence there was a perfect 45 minute split in the list. Since a 90 minute tape has 45 minutes on each side, this is important to avoid either splitting a song in the middle or having large mute gaps at the end of each side. So, I ran audio out from my laptop directly into my tape deck and recorded this playlist to the tape, utilizing Dolby-C.

I even took it a step further. Tapes generally have more length then they're advertised for, CDs do too, they give you more than advertised instead of risking have less. So even though this playlist was a perfect 45 minutes per side, there was a few minutes at the end of each side. So instead of leaving the mute gaps, I decided to fill them. I recorded until the tape ran out to find out exactly how much time was left, then found something that would fill it perfectly. On side A, I recorded Roll To Me by Del Amitri. It's a tad over 2 minutes at fit perfectly. Then on Side B, there was a little less time available and I couldn't find a song that would fit. So, I recorded Nuts and Bolts from Donkey Kong Country 3. I knew the exact time that was left on the tape, so I ran a stop watch while recording it and then did a perfect fade out using the recording level control.

The J card didn't have enough room for me to handwrite in all the songs, so I decided to make a cover for it. This is the picture that was used in the YouTube video, and I included the Dolby logo for a nice touch. I think it's hilarious making a mixed tape with a mix of old and new technologies.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

That is some damn good music!

I know all and love almost every song on there! :mrgreen:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Markies wrote:That is some damn good music!

I know all and love almost every song on there! :mrgreen:

Yeah, even the bands that I use to skip have grown on me. I love this mix, it's like listening to the radio in the 90s.

I made another copy of this tape only without any Dolby NR, and it's been a permanent resident in my Sony boombox (CD/tape/radio/aux input) ever since.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've never seen a bottle so deflated. I did a bit of glass work when I thought general chemistry or water purification was a rewarding career path, and really liked the glasswork part. Now I just have a habit of melting any alcohol containers in the coals for fun. Sometimes I see if I can explode them after.
I want a copy of your mix tape (minus the VFD)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:I've never seen a bottle so deflated. I did a bit of glass work when I thought general chemistry or water purification was a rewarding career path, and really liked the glasswork part. Now I just have a habit of melting any alcohol containers in the coals for fun. Sometimes I see if I can explode them after.

It's fun, right? I melted the hell out of a beer bottle last night. I haven't checked it with (you have to leave it buried in the hot ash/embers over night) but if it came out good I'll post picks of it. I got a glimpse of it last night while I was stoking the fire and it just looked liked a pile of glass lol.

One hard part about this method is that the ash sort of bakes into the glass. It's hard to get off, you have to really scrub it. But some of them are sort of fragile, and I'm afraid if I scrub too much it'll crack or break.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I really miss how easy recording to VHS & cassettes was. I was really into CDs, MP3 CD, & DVD burning later but I recognized it was definitely more involved.

Now... I recently watched this Mr Mobile video on the Mini Disc. The portable player itself allowed you to go PC > 3.5mm > into MD player > record to MD. :shock: I missed out on this!

Mini Disc: The Best Thing That Never Happened to Your Music - https://youtu.be/lHwMWmTXziI

So I think I posted this a bit back on COVID thread, but I upgraded my home network to GB. All Cat 6.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I've been making a little music lately, though I don't have anything complete to post yet, here's an unfinished track I worked on with a friend.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18cidkl ... p=drivesdk

Unfortunately the files were lost on that one, and we couldn't find the sample again or remember how we flipped it... Won't let that happen again.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:I really miss how easy recording to VHS & cassettes was. I was really into CDs, MP3 CD, & DVD burning later but I recognized it was definitely more involved.

But every time you dub a cassette or VHS the quality is slightly worse. With CDs and DVDs, since it was a digital copy, the quality never suffered. And you could do it a lot faster, in contrast to recording in real time with tape. Sure, there was high speed dub on some dual cassette decks, but that made the quality even worse!

Speaking of MP3 CDs, I still use them! I had two that I made back around 2005 that each had 100+ tracks on them and they've been in my car ever since. Later I would make more mp3 CDs for my car. Like one that has all three studio Rage Against The Machine albums plus some live albums. Or another that has every Incubus studio album. When you set them up with the proper folders, navigating them on the car stereo is easy. I find it way easier than dealing with my phone in the car (also, avoiding a possible ticket) not to mention you never have to worry about a data signal and buffering. A couple of years ago I made two more MP3 CDs for a family party, mostly 70's and 80's classic rock and pop rock, each with 100+ tracks, and those have been killer to listen to! I've been using them in my boombox (when I'm away from my main stereo) and again find it more convenient than using my phone. The only thing that sucks about my boombox with mp3 CDs is that it doesn't remember the last track you played.

Jagosaurus wrote:So I think I posted this a bit back on COVID thread, but I upgraded my home network to GB. All Cat 6.

Nice!

SamuraiMegas wrote:I've been making a little music lately, though I don't have anything complete to post yet, here's an unfinished track I worked on with a friend.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18cidkl ... p=drivesdk

Unfortunately the files were lost on that one, and we couldn't find the sample again or remember how we flipped it... Won't let that happen again.

Awesome! What are you using to record?