The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:PS - Don't make fun of my soldering. I slapped this little thing together in about 30 seconds flat.

I'll do what I like! :twisted:

Look at that dummy who can solder better in thirty seconds than I can solder in an hour! :lol:

Seriously, neat work! :D
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Ziggy587 wrote:PS - Don't make fun of my soldering. I slapped this little thing together in about 30 seconds flat.

Not bad for 30 seconds. Good soldering is an underappreciated art.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Neat thread and cool projects!
I made a S-Video to Luma & Chroma pigtail to get a clean luma signal from S-Video.
I use it to play games on my monochrome green monitor without the chroma signal making the image grainy. The result is indistinguishable from hooking up only the Green (Y) plug from a Component cable. It works on any screen that accepts Composite, but true B&W tubes definitely look crisper.
GBI-LL by Extrems through S-Video, Luma signal only.
I wish my monitor was a bit bigger - The Gameboy image is only 6" diagonally.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:I made a S-Video to Luma & Chroma pigtail to get a clean luma signal from S-Video.

Awesome! That really replicates an OG Gameboy screen!

I know that older monitors use to have RCA jacks for Luma and Chroma, but this reminded me of a high end cable I once saw. It was a 4-pin S-Video jack that breaks Luma and Chroma out to separate female RCA jacks. The idea is that you use one of these Y cables at each end, and a standard RCA cable in between to prevent crosstalk.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

That is a pretty clever idea anapan.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I made a through hole version of the SNES cart that I posted on the first page, because why not?

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/PcJsgzDa

Also, I realized I have a couple of things on OSH Park that I never posted here, so...

Dreamcast 480p XRGB-mini Framemeister Cable: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/YafensLl

SEGA Genesis Multi Cart: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/W0QDhXOq

Basically, it's just a Genesis version of the above SNES cart.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Help me understand this, Ziggy. Is this a cart with a big EEPROM that you flash once, or is this a cartridge with an SD card reader in the style of Krikzz? Can you flash multiple games at once? I’m fascinated, but I don’t have enough information to grasp your project.

What’s your goal?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The carts I posted are not flash carts like the Everdrives by Krikzz that load games from SD cards. They have an EEPROM that you flash once. Although I made them for myself for a very specific reason, they can be used in a few different ways which is why I wanted to share them.

The "Multi Cart" in the name I gave to my carts is in reference to those X-In-1 (ie: 150-In-1) bootleg carts, which are often referred to as "multicarts" because they have multiple games on a single cart. The carts that I made are able to store more than one game at once, although you can certainly put just one game on it if you wish. So you can make your own 2-In-1 or 4-In-1 multicart (an 8-In-1 is even possible, but you'd have to modify the PCB a little). When just one game is on the cart, it functions as a normal cart would. When you put multiple games on the cart, you switch games by pressing the reset button on the console. So say you have 4 games on the cart, when you first power on the cart it loads the first game. Press reset and it switches to the second game. Press reset again to switch to the third game, and again to switch to the fourth game. Pressing reset while on the fourth game switches back to the first game.

My carts aren't designed to use very large EEPROMs, however. Without getting overly technical (not that I have much knowledge beyond this LOL) the SNES and Genesis supply 5 volts to their cartridges, and so all the parts need to be 5 volt tolerant. The only flash memory that I know of that is 5 volt tolerant and is still being produced is the MX29F800, which is only 8 Mb (1 Megabyte). There's also a 4Mb and 2Mb version in production, but yeah. It is possible to use newer 3.3 volt flash chips, which are plentiful, but this requires extra circuitry (the Everdrives use 3.3v flash memory). The point is to take advantage of the 5 volt memory since it is available.

But at any rate, there's a few things you can do with these carts. You could use it for a single game like a homebrew game, or a hack or fan translation. Or you can make your own multi cart. The original reason I made these carts was for a neat idea that I wanted to do for the Charity Auction. I haven't been able to get it done the past two years, but maybe I will this year. I was keeping that idea a secret so it could be a surprise for the auction. That and I think it's pretty neat. The past year I had thought about possibly making something to sell. And I would love to. But for right now, it's just on a hobby level.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Asked to fix an original XBOX that went RROD a year ago. Hard drive bit the dust, so no hot-swap to clone the encryption key.
Had to build an EEPROM reader cable to extract the contents of the chip directly. Being a 1.6 revision board I'll have only a few seconds to grab it on an XP laptop before the system detects intrusion and emergency aborts the power.
It was fun to build.
!See next page - the blue wire is wrong!
Last edited by Anapan on Fri May 29, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nice! Was it successful?