Next-Gen

Re: I built my first arcade stick

Post by corn619 »

I love it! Nicely done!
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

Very nice! Can I ask for a parts and cost list? I wouldn't mind trying this myself.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

retroupgrade wrote:Very nice! Can I ask for a parts and cost list? I wouldn't mind trying this myself.

MC Cthulhu PCB
Seimitsu PS-14-GN Screwbutton Black
Crown 303-FK Korean Joystick Clear Black
Switchcraft EH 45P5E Series RJ45 Connector - Black
Neutrik NAUSB-W-B A/B USB Feed-Through - Black
Push In PCB Feet Black
10 Connection 22 AWG .110" Ground Daisy Chain Wire
3 Connection 22 AWG .110" Ground Daisy Chain Wire
Black 16pc 22 AWG Wire with .110 Quick Disconnect
.187 to 5-pin Conversion Harness
90 degree piano hinge

I have ordered a Brook PS3 to Xbox One adapter to use with it instead of the padhack which I never had the time to troubleshoot. My thinking is that it will clean up the wiring a lot and allow me to use their PS3 to PS4 adapter as well whenever I get a PS4. The padhack used a Crossbone adapter that eliminates a lot of soldering. But I removed that yesterday and will likely resell it.

See this post for the cost: viewtopic.php?p=930943#p930943
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

So I ordered the PS3 to Xbox One Brook converter right after the new year during FocusAttack's quarterly sale. I got it on Jan 11 because I got the slow cheap shipping and they got quite the backlog of orders during the sale.

In order for it to work with the MC Cthulhu PCB, it needed a firmware upgrade. I knew this going in as I looked it up on the SRK boards before ordering. However, it bricked during the upgrade. I emailed Brook's support and got no response. I contacted them via Facebook and they would only respond with questions asking me if I followed the directions (which I did).

After about 2 weeks of getting nowhere with Brook's support, I contacted FocusAttack. I asked for a replacement but they requested that I talk to their tech support first. After a week of getting nowhere with their tech support I asked for a replacement. To their credit, they did reach out to their Brook contacts but didn't have any better luck than I did.

I got the replacement today and successfully updated the firmware! Though it was not without difficulty. The firmware upgrade has two files. During the installation of the first file, the firmware upgrade failed. I had to reboot my computer and flash it 3 more times before it started behaving and acting as intended. The second file installation went off without a hitch (this is where my first one bricked).

But now I have a fully functioning arcade stick for my Xbox One. Now to relearn Killer Instinct and MK X! When I get a PS4, I'll likely get the PS3 to PS4 converter and switch them out as needed.

It is a great little device but the firmware upgrades sure are touch and go. Brook's support is downright awful. If you get one of these, be sure that the place you are buying it from has good customer service and will accept returns.
Last edited by bmoc on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I am a big fan of this, simple and super slick. It makes me want to try a DIY stick!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Do it! It is lots of fun.

I haven't used it a ton on my Xbox One yet because it is in the living room and all the clicking annoys my wife. When we get a new HDTV for the living room, the old one will go to the mancave along withe the Xbox.

I am having a lot of difficulty hitting the diagonals in KI. I didn't have so much trouble with Saturn fighters which is where it gets a lot of use (along with the occasional shmup). I am thinking of trying out this mod to see if that will make it better. http://www.focusattack.com/fanta-crown-upgrade-kit/
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

I wish I had those wood-working skills and tools. There are lots of projects where I wish I could make my own wood case for.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

bmoc wrote:I am having a lot of difficulty hitting the diagonals in KI. I didn't have so much trouble with Saturn fighters which is where it gets a lot of use (along with the occasional shmup). I am thinking of trying out this mod to see if that will make it better. http://www.focusattack.com/fanta-crown-upgrade-kit/

I finally purchased this mod and installed it yesterday. It makes the Crown 303-FK so much better. I'm hitting the diagonals more consistently and the joystick returns to neutral faster. I should have purchased this a long time ago.