Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
TheSecondChanceGamer

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Post by TheSecondChanceGamer »

I will probably need your service too my Nomads screen is broken after my brother punched the screen in a fit of rage while playing Mean Bean Machine so you might be hearing from me too cause now its just sitting in my closet collecting dust. P.S. I would do the mod but I suck at soldering.
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/THESTUDIO61 new episodes every week!
spinksy
16-bit

Post by spinksy »

Great stuff!!

Always got time for the Sega Nomad 8)
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

That's one of the most beautiful and useful mods I've seen in a while. I would absolutely love to see more mods like this for all the other portables lacking in display. I have at least six portables in need of modding, I think. Most front lit mods I've seen have gaps or adherence issues, which is a shame.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Added to the first post :

I can do this mod for $65 shipped to your door. You would be responsible for shipping the Nomad to me. For $70 I will do the mod and also install a new screen cover.

I am going to offer the battery mod soon also.

I am trying to get the price down. Hopefully i will be able to offer a Nomad Lithium battery pack for around $50 or so.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I'm thinking I'm gonna try to do both of these mods when I get my Nomad sometime early next year. I have a GenMobile on the way from eBay and just the thought of getting that is making me want a Nomad even more.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I just tried doing this and ended up ruining my Nomad, which I confirmed by the fact that I couldn't get a signal using the AV port. Be very careful when you do this. I suspect the issue is that I didn't put an insulator between the LCD screen board and the main Nomad board. Also, it looks like this is a very tight fit, so be careful how much glue you use, so you don't add any more girth to the final product.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

MrPopo wrote:I just tried doing this and ended up ruining my Nomad, which I confirmed by the fact that I couldn't get a signal using the AV port. Be very careful when you do this. I suspect the issue is that I didn't put an insulator between the LCD screen board and the main Nomad board. Also, it looks like this is a very tight fit, so be careful how much glue you use, so you don't add any more girth to the final product.

Oh dude, that really blows! I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't seem salvageable at all? Maybe you could send it to hailrazer?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

jfe2 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I just tried doing this and ended up ruining my Nomad, which I confirmed by the fact that I couldn't get a signal using the AV port. Be very careful when you do this. I suspect the issue is that I didn't put an insulator between the LCD screen board and the main Nomad board. Also, it looks like this is a very tight fit, so be careful how much glue you use, so you don't add any more girth to the final product.

Oh dude, that really blows! I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't seem salvageable at all? Maybe you could send it to hailrazer?

I might have the patience to go over it with a multimeter at some point, but I'm not hopeful. I suspect I shorted out the board, which is why I couldn't even get the AV out to work.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Sorry I should have put in the guide to insulate the back of the board also, I thought I did but I just put in a section about insulating between the board and the screen. I'll add a note.

Also did you make sure to run the ground wire to both the power area and the video area?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

hailrazer wrote:Sorry I should have put in the guide to insulate the back of the board also, I thought I did but I just put in a section about insulating between the board and the screen. I'll add a note.

Also did you make sure to run the ground wire to both the power area and the video area?

I ran the two grounds on the video to the two spots you marked on the board. I really should have thought about insulating between the video and the main board. When I hooked everything together and tried it out I immediately realized that I had probably just fried the board.