Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Post by Hobie-wan »

Nice job. :)
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

That is seriously awesome work! And thank you so much for posting the guide! I'm hoping that my wife picks up a Nomad for my Christmas present, and if she does I'll totally do these mods.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

hailrazer wrote:
Lokkenjawnz wrote:Hey man if you have the time, you could probably make a pretty penny doing this up for us Nomad owners wanting a bit of an upgrade! Great work!

I would be happy to do this for anyone who wants it done. The problem is that it might be a bit expensive. The screens cost $50 and there would be shipping both ways. And I would have to charge about $40.

So it would be around $100 for me to do one for you guys.

But I'd be happy to do it if anyone wants me to.

How much would just a battery pack cost? I can deal with a mediocre screen, but damn I need some portability!

And on a side note, I just noticed your signature, you've got some of my favorite portables that I've seen on BenHeck, I wish I had my very own Darth64! :lol:
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
chuckbanzai
16-bit

Post by chuckbanzai »

hailrazer wrote:
Lokkenjawnz wrote:Hey man if you have the time, you could probably make a pretty penny doing this up for us Nomad owners wanting a bit of an upgrade! Great work!

I would be happy to do this for anyone who wants it done. The problem is that it might be a bit expensive. The screens cost $50 and there would be shipping both ways. And I would have to charge about $40.

So it would be around $100 for me to do one for you guys.

But I'd be happy to do it if anyone wants me to.

I really need to take a chance and try some of this stuff. I'd just hate to ruin any of my handhelds. I am going to keep you in mind, you may be hearing from me soon for some services. Would you be able to back light my NGPC also while we were at it?
Savior of 200X, Current holder of the Triforce of Courage, 5 time Mutant League Champion for the Galactic Aces! He's here to show you his moves! Lets give a big welcome to ChuckBanzai!
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Lokkenjawnz wrote:
How much would just a battery pack cost? I can deal with a mediocre screen, but damn I need some portability!

And on a side note, I just noticed your signature, you've got some of my favorite portables that I've seen on BenHeck, I wish I had my very own Darth64! :lol:

Well if you already have a battery pack I can install the new battery in it wouldn't be as much. But if I have to buy the Nomad battery pack and then the new battery it gets more expensive.

The new battery with charger is around $20, the charging jacks around $7. Then you have the cost of making it and shipping it to you.

So I would say for a new battery pack with you supplying the Nomad pack .... about $55
If I have to supply the Nomad Pack also it would cost $25 or so more because I would have to buy it off Ebay.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

chuckbanzai wrote:
I really need to take a chance and try some of this stuff. I'd just hate to ruin any of my handhelds. I am going to keep you in mind, you may be hearing from me soon for some services. Would you be able to back light my NGPC also while we were at it?

I wouldn't ruin a handheld :)

If I messed something up I would fix it or replace it, that's how I roll. LOL

I used to frontlight NGPC with afterburners, but now it's easier to buy a broken SP and use that light. So I could do it, but it would probably cost around $65 or so.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
classicgamer5
Next-Gen

Post by classicgamer5 »

Awesome, looks great :)
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I am intrigued by this NGPC frontlight business. I'd love to be able to play my NGPC without being sat on the Sun. I burn easy.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I would imagine it's just as easy as frontlighting a GBC. You take the frontlight from a GBA SP (first gen) and put it in front of the LCD of your portable. Then you wire one end to ground and the other to some voltage and you're in business.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Awesome, sounds rediculously easy. I'm gonna try and hunt don't some broken GBA SPs. Would I be able to do this to an OG GBA too?
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys