Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SpaceBooger

Phantasy Star Online - GC via Wii & Nintendont

by SpaceBooger Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:23 am

So, I had loved PSO since it came out on the Dreamcast when we played it for Together Retro many years back, I found some wonky old phone numbers in Michigan to dial into and play via SchtServ with a bunch of people from here. It was a blast. Playing around with the updating stuff on my modded Wii the other day, I realized that the Nintendon't emulator emulates the GC broadband connector using WiFi.
With that, I got a copy of PSO Episodes 1&2, headed over to https://schtserv.com/forums/app.php/pso ... tion-guide applied for Hunter's Licence, configured to log into their server and all was good.
I should have been preparing for the first day of school, but I was playing PSO instead.

If you have a modded Wii join in. If I am playing I will always start a new team named: racket password: boy so feel free to join in. If you have any questions use this thread and I will try to help and use this thread if you do set it up and we can schedule times to gather and play!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Phantasy Star Online - GC via Wii & Nintendont

by Jagosaurus Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:41 pm

This is awesome. Never got around to modding a Wii but this way high on my list.

Are you playing against other CGN/Wii/WiiU/Dolphin emu users? I seem to remember some cross platform issues [DC to PC to GCN].

Thought I'd leave this here as good memories:
https://www.racketboy.com/together-retr ... tar-online

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:This is awesome. Never got around to modding a Wii but this way high on my list.

Are you playing against other CGN/Wii/WiiU/Dolphin emu users? I seem to remember some cross platform issues [DC to PC to GCN].

Thought I'd leave this here as good memories:
https://www.racketboy.com/together-retr ... tar-online

So from what I can gather the XBOX and GC are playing together. I do not know if that includes PC emulation. So far it works fine and I have had no issue with it. There always seem to be people online at least 3 groups playing. Not many, but not dead. I would guess most of the people playing are meeting up on the server with people they already know.
I got on this kick after hearing about Insignia which is getting the original XBOX Live back online and I was considering hunting down a copy of PSO for the XB, but then playing on the Wii popped into my mind and that was easier.
That post with the thread of our meeting and playing BB is awesome and fun to reread. We need to meet up and play again, either BB or on a console.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:34 am

Interesting. I was under the impression the OGX PSO needed XBL to work & was effectively DOA now. Pretty cool if Insignia will work for it in near future or already in testing.

That dev team said games like Halo 2 with dedicated match matching servers, leveling/ranks, etc would come much later than basically PvP over the internet.

The PSO community is nuts though... wouldn't surprise me if they already figured it out & are waiting on the Insignia team now :D

Happy to see this still working... as someone who had a DC on the net back in '99 8)

I'll look more into the emu and/or PC aspect... looks like it's possible in Retro Arch via FlyCast core:
https://youtu.be/uYWDwUez9M4

... which means I could hypothetically run DC PSO ... on my Xbox Series X in dev mode :lol:. That's some mad scientist stuff.

Are you talking to other players in Discord? I'm strangely intrigued...

SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:34 pm

I have not been on the discord yet. I have been hoping to get small parties ready with people here, but I know the people who would play PSO now is limited to a couple.
I was hyped for Insignia, I got a USB to XBOX controller adapter and already created and uploaded an XBOX Live account to a memory card. I have Splinter Cell and am ready to mod my XBOX. The problem is I keep buying XBOX PSO games and both have been labeled as "Unreadable". It's not my system since every other game I have works. That leads me to the GC via the Wii route.

So Jag, we need to bring a PSO resurgence back to RacketBoy. Either on the PC (emulate/BB/etc.) or modded consoles.
BLOG | BST
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:54 pm

With family, work, & football season tickets on the horizon... I'm pretty limited on spare time.

But I really want to get RetroArch running on the XB-SX so I'm only 1 step away lol.

Man... you definitely need to mod the OGX. Then you can just FTP the game file right over. I have links to that I can PM you if needed.

While there are some newer methods, check out my soft mod & HDD upgrade threads here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51856

Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:17 pm

I can't add anything of value here but I got PSO running flawlessly on an Android TV via Dolphin. That's how I play it. No idea about networking with that method though.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:09 pm

I have two oXbox I have one with a modchip and hdd upgrade. I think the drive is going bad, so I use my unmodded one more. I have most of the games I want on disc and now have Everdrives for most systems so emu is not needed.
I plan to mod the one not modded to use insignia for PSO once ready. Will I need to replace the HDD if I only want that one game installed?
Anyway I am loving the online GC version on the Wii over wifi.
BLOG | BST
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:23 am

Bumping this thread a bit. I may have some time come closer to December, if we wanted to do a seasonal get together on the servers. Sylverant, Schtack, whatever!
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:20 pm

Blu wrote:Bumping this thread a bit. I may have some time come closer to December, if we wanted to do a seasonal get together on the servers. Sylverant, Schtack, whatever!

I'm down with that. What system do you want to play on? Right now I can not find a dial-up provider for my DC, so I'm good with the GameCube or could even reinstall BlueBurst on my PC? Or could I emulate the DC version on my PC and play online?
BLOG | BST
Return to Hacks and Mods