Post Your Non-Auction Goods Here
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

FS: Ziggy's Mod and Repair Services (RB Members Only)

by Ziggy587 Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Ziggy's Mod and Repair Services

Currently I am offering these services only to established Racketboy forum members. Established meaning that you are an existing member and didn't just sign up to PM me.

Need something repaired or modified? Need something built or a kit assembled? PM me and we'll see if it's something I can help you out with.

I will flesh this page out more as time goes on, but for now it'll just have to be basic. I will list examples of services as I can think of them. Also, usually when I mod or repair something for myself I order extra parts, so I will eventually list parts and mod kits for sale here too.

Cart Battery Replacement: I use name brand batteries that are new stock with factory welded solder tabs. These are important details because generic brand batteries usually aren't very good, new old stock batteries might not last as long (or could already be dead) and factory welded solder tabs are the most secure connection type. I can change the electrolytic capacitor on carts as well. I can also backup and restore saves for a lot of cart types. I can even write your save to a cart from flash carts or emulators (as long as they're in the correct format).

Recaps - All electrolytic capacitors will eventually dry out. Or even worse, they can leak and cause damage.

Console AV mods - Almost every retro console now has some sort of AV mod available for it.

Console AV Cables - I can build AV cables, if you need something custom or just want better quality.

Mod chip and ODE Installations - Almost every retro console with an optical drive now have a mod chip or ODE available for it.

Saturn FRAM System Save Mod - Sick of dealing with the Saturn's internal battery backed save RAM? Then this mod if for you. It replaces the SRAM with FRAM which does not require a battery. The battery is still needed for the system clock, but no longer has anything to do with the saves.

Sega CD / Saturn / Dreamcast Region Free BIOS - Install region free BIOS.

Chip programming services - Free, for Racketboy members only. I can program a variety of chips such as EPROM, flash, PIC, et cetera.

Free McBoot (FMCB) PS2 memory card service - Free, for Racketboy members only. I can install FMCB on a PS2 memory card for you. This allows you to launch homebrew apps on the PS2. The most popular of which being Open PS2 Loader (OPL) which lets you boot games from a hard drive.

Repros (cart modding/building service) - Some of you might remember, I use to be the resident Racketboy repro maker. I don't want to do anything that uses a donor cart, otherwise PM me what you're looking to get done. I can "patch" Japanese carts (such as Famicom or Super Famicom) with fan translations. I can put hacks, homebrew or unreleased games on a cart using 100% brand new components (no donor carts). I will NOT make straight up bootlegs or pirate carts.

Digitizing audio, video and pics - I can digitize a number of things for you. Currently I can digitize home video recordings from VHS, S-VHS, VHS-C, and Video8 (other formats may be possible). I can either master them to DVD or provide digital video files. BD authoring might also be possible. I can also digitize audio from cassette or micro cassette tapes (such as the kind you would use for dictation or in an answering machine), vinyl or possibly other format as well. I can digitize still photographs and do touch ups to them, as well as scan negatives.

Stereo-to-mono adapters (stereo summing) - I can build you a stereo to mono adapter with whatever connections you need on them (3.5mm, 1/4", RCA, et cetera). These are useful in a number of situations. Such as using stereo AV cables on a small CRT that only has a mono input. Or if you like to listen to music using only one earbud. Or sending a stereo signal to a subwoofer. Or any number of things. No, you cannot simply use a Y cable to smash the stereo signal into mono. At best, the signal will be weak and/or degraded. And at worst, it could possibly damage equipment.

Something else - Need something else done that's not listed here? Just PM me and we'll see if it's something I can help you out with!

Mod boards for the DIYers:

Below are mod boards that I am selling. OSH Park has a minimum quantity of 3, so I sometimes end up with 2 more of something than I actually need. These are the leftovers. I'm taking what I paid for the parts and rounding up slightly to ensure I'm not losing money on anything. I can also offer an install service for the boards, if you need it.

Sd2snes Rev.H mod board (MSU-1 fix) - $7 (each)
This mod board fixes an issue with the MSU-1 audio on Sd2snes flash carts before revision H. More info can be found in this post.

Genesis model 1 Stereo Mod - $10 (each)
Bypass the volume slider and get proper stereo output. More info here.

Dreamcast 480p Framemeister Cable - $12 (each)
This board allows you to get 480p output from the DC for use with the Framemeister and OSC. More info here. OSH Park link: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/YafensLl

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

Mod & Repair Services - For Racketboy members only. I can mod and repair items, build custom items, and more!
turtle
24-bit

Re: Ziggy's Mod and Repair Services (RB Members Only)

by turtle Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:01 pm

I dealt with Ziggy years ago when he made me half a dozen snes repro translation carts. His work was absolutely top notch. I couldn't recommend him more :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I can "patch" Japanese carts (such as Famicom or Super Famicom) to their English versions.

this is intriguing. I may well look into taking you up on this service!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:02 pm

I can attest to Ziggy's services. He patched some JP carts I had to their English versions (Seiken Densetsu 3 and Final Fantasy V iirc).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:49 pm

I also did a large order of patched SFC carts back in the day with Ziggy. Can attest to his workmanship.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: FS: Ziggy's Mod and Repair Services (RB Members Only)

by Ziggy587 Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're all still enjoying those carts. I can't believe it's nearly 12 years ago now that I started making those carts, and several years now since I stopped. I had a lot of fun making those carts, and have missed doing it.

I just added another service to the first posts: Digitizing stuff. I can digitize a number of things such as home videos, audio recordings, pictures and negatives.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

Mod & Repair Services - For Racketboy members only. I can mod and repair items, build custom items, and more!
pilgrimteeth
8-bit

by pilgrimteeth Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Do your repro carts play well on a Retron 5? I've found that donor carts tend to work but non-donor carts don't always, so just curious if you've done any testing!
Note
64-bit

by Note Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Awesome list of services, Ziggy. Definitely a few things I might be interested to have done in the future, and will keep you posted.

Also, I've had a transaction with Ziggy buying some SNES games and it was very smooth. Very easy to deal with, for anyone potentially interested in his services.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks, Note!

pilgrimteeth wrote:Do your repro carts play well on a Retron 5? I've found that donor carts tend to work but non-donor carts don't always, so just curious if you've done any testing!

It has more to do with software than hardware. The Retron5 dumps the cart then runs the ROM in an emulator. So if it can't dump the cart or understand the ROM, or if it's just generally unsupported by the emulator, then it wont work. That's why multi carts and flash carts don't work, but it's also why some homebrew carts don't work.

I call it "repro" because that's what the internet has used as a blanket name for a while now. But really I'm just advertising a cart mod service, and that can be whatever you want (aside from blatant piracy). I can take a SFC cart and patch it with a fan translation, which as far as the Retron5 is concerned would be the same as using a donor cart (but I think pointless since the Retron5 can soft patch games IIRC). Or I could put a homebrew game on a non-donor cart, which probably wouldn't be compatible with the Retron5. But again, not because of the cart, it's because the Retron emulator doesn't know how to run the homebrew game. If the Retron5 supports game X, and you put game X on a non-donor cart, then the Retron5 should be able to run it.

But no, I have not done any testing. I don't own a Retron5.

crux
128-bit

by crux Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:56 am

I still own a Stunt Race FX cart that I was going to send to you for a Starfox 2 cart about a dozen years ago. Whoops.
Return to Buy/Sell/Trade