The Best N64 Games That Still Matter Today

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
pompeyparsons
32-bit

Post by pompeyparsons »

racketboy wrote:
Ack wrote:I'll be honest, I don't consider some of those games that relevant to today, mostly in the honorable mentions category. For instance, I really didn't care for Wave Race 64, and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer just came off as dull to me.

Also, I do wish Mario Kart 64 had made the cut, namely for a feature you didn't mention: Battle Mode. I used to go to all-night parties where all we played were Mario Kart 64's Battle Mode. Some of the most fun I've ever had at parties, to be honest. It was a feature that I don't think ever got enough attention, and to this day I still say Mario Kart 64 was one of the two best in the series, if not the best(I can't in good faith say that something was better than the original...I love them both).

And while I'm saddened by the total lack of any fighting games at all on the list, I realize it's because the fighting games on the N64 really weren't that great. Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Killer Instinct Gold, Clayfighter 63 1/3, Mace: The Dark Age...yeah...sure, they're fun, but I wouldn't really consider them groundbreaking, or really even that memorable.

Well you guys talked me into Mario Kart 64 -- I "upgraded" them -- I even added your quote, Ack
I'm such a pushover ;)

I hadn't added my two cents now but the upgraded is totally warranted when you talk about games that defined the N64, there was one game that defined the entire system and that was Mario Kart 64. Whenver N64 is mentioned the first game I automatically think of is Mario Kart 64. The two just go together like peanut butter and jelly.

While the game doesn't hold up to some of the more polished versions of Kart that have been released since, it's still a great game. One that I go back to and play every now and again. Plus as has been stated in previous posts you can't beat Battle Mode. It was the best.
andymol21
64-bit

Post by andymol21 »

At 6/9/2008 12:10 PM, Blake said…
Wow, Wetrix! I completely forgot about how addicting this game was - one of my favorites behind Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64.

That's what made it worth it for me :)
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Funny you mention that Ack, my most played game right now is Goldeneye. I just replaced the joysticks in my N64 controllers and cleaned the console and it plays just like it use to, and loving every minute of it.

I got tired of trying to explain new FPS's to people and just went with the one they know. Granted I have never stopped playing the game so it is alittle one-sided sometimes.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You're also one of those Southpaw players that really loves an odd control scheme, so I suppose going back wouldn't be so bad for you.

Do them all a favor, show them Half Life and TFC. :wink:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Out of everyone, I would expect you to know I play legacy not southpaw. Come on Ack your slipping. Next your going to forget how to play medic...
Ack

Post by Ack »

I will never forget how to play medic, Fast. It's like riding a bike, only there are no brakes, the front wheel is a medpack, and the road is everyone else.
Last edited by Ack on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown
8-bit

Post by Unknown »

Great article. I still love my N64 to this day...and it brings back joyful memories from long ago.. :cry: