Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Finally. The perfect joy cons

Post by Raging Justice »

Finally found the perfect joy cons for playing stuff in handheld mode

Mobapad M6 HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3XMAXZ4Go

Some pics I borrowed from a reddit post:

They fit in tightly on the Switch, no looseness after you slide them on. It has two interchangeable d-pads that feel great. Hall effect, true analog sticks with a choice between a rounded base or an octagonal one via interchangeable face plates. The right analog stick is properly placed to the left of the face buttons so it doesn't get in the way like a certain other joy con replacement I tried. The shoulder buttons feel great. The back buttons are placed low so you don't accidentally hit them very often. You have full access to the USB connection on the bottom since it's not a shell that surrounds the whole system. It's ergonomically comfortable, but doesn't make the Switch feel too big. It retains ALL joy con features. Rumble, gyro, and amiibo scanning.

The thing came in a very high quality cardboard box and was extremely well packaged. The thing's great.

Now, if you only care about getting a joy con with a great d-pad, I could also recommend the Hori d-pad left joy con replacement officially licensed by Nintendo. You can even get it with a cool, Zelda skin. The d-pad on it is perfect, the ones on the Mobapad M6 HD are great too, but I think this one beats them by like a hair.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Finally. The perfect joy cons

Post by Anapan »

I was looking at the Hori Split-Pad Pro a while back. It's missing a lot - No Motion Controls, HD Rumble, NFC, or IR camera.
Pretty cool that that ones does NFC and has hall-effect joysticks.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Anapan wrote:I was looking at the Hori Split-Pad Pro a while back. It's missing a lot - No Motion Controls, HD Rumble, NFC, or IR camera.

Nintendo doesn’t let licensed products replicate all the Joy Con functions. So only unlicensed products have most of those features.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I've logged in a fair amount of playtime on the Mobapad now, playing different games, particularly this new Prince of Persia game. Everything feels great. I actually am preferring using the d-pad on this to the one on the Hori d-pad just on account of the ergo friendly size and shape of the Mobapad M6 HD. The hori one is great, but just like a standard joy con gets uncomfortable for your hands during long play sessions.

I also tried changing the left face plate in order to try out the octagonal gate for the left analog stick and man it's sooooo easy to remove the face plate and just as easy to put it back on. I didn't even know about different gates for analog sticks and joy sticks before I bought this thing. I learned something new.

The back buttons can be re-programmed to anything, or just turned off entirely if you don't want to be bothered with them. You can apparently program them with button combinations as well. I wonder if this feature could make combos easier to pull off in fighting games. Turbo is also an option with the Mobapad, for people who hate button mashing.

It also has the wake up feature, where you hit the home button to get the Switch out of sleep mode. I have a Nexipro Grip that doesn't do that. Though, I find that you sometimes have to hit the home button more than once between it wakes up the Switch, but it does work.

I really love these joycons and since this isn't one of those joy con replacements that acts as a shell (like the Nexipro), I should be able to still dock the Switch too

I feel like these things have every base covered. Just to be clear though, I'm talking about HD model, as there seems to be an older M6 model. The "HD" signifies this as the newer model

marurun wrote:
Anapan wrote:I was looking at the Hori Split-Pad Pro a while back. It's missing a lot - No Motion Controls, HD Rumble, NFC, or IR camera.

Nintendo doesn’t let licensed products replicate all the Joy Con functions. So only unlicensed products have most of those features.

This seems to be the first one to have ALL the features though, which is what has some people excited. Plus the d-pad is great, something that isn't always the case with some of these unlicensed products.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Oh awesome, the reviewer is from the UK and then goes on to say that if you're from the UK there isn't a supplier here and you can't really order them from anywhere unless you want to import them from China or get them from Aliexpress... :(

They look great! Why aren't they more widely available?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote:Oh awesome, the reviewer is from the UK and then goes on to say that if you're from the UK there isn't a supplier here and you can't really order them from anywhere unless you want to import them from China or get them from Aliexpress... :(

They look great! Why aren't they more widely available?

Yeah, it sucks. I think the company that makes them has an actual website you can order from, but from what I recall i think it costs a bit more if you do it that way. I got mine from Aliexpress. It took some time before they finally arrived, but it was worth it. When I opened the shipping box, the box for the joy cons themselves was inside this huge, fat, bubble, envelope thing that was wrapped around it. Very well packaged.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, unless this Chinese manufacturer finds a company to act as an OEM for they're on their own as a seller. If they want to sell on Amazon they'll have to throw together some English packaging and at least jump through a few FCC hoops (or not, you never know with those random brands on Amazon).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

On AliExpress, when you search for the model-number and sort by price, some of the cheapest have an unlisted delivery fee. If the fee is about $5 USD you will likely get your purchase within two weeks. The free shipping listings will slowly package your win over two weeks, and it'll be kicked around the floor in favor of paid small packages. End result is 1.5 Months. Best to search the model# on AliExpress and pay the shipping fee to the AliExpress seller that has a shipping fee. For the standard fee, I usually get my purchases in under two weeks here in BC Canada. Free shipping purchases on average take one to two months.

Speaking of side-grips; I was looking into ones that can take a phone in Tate mode to properly play the games that need analog on the Anbernic 35XX Plus that's in the mail, and I decided on the iPega 9807s. ~$35 and collapsible. Can play DS games on the phone, or in this case enhance a still-pocketable emu-handheld to play the games that really need analog sticks, and doesn't suck.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage