Super Mario Bros. Wonder is...

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Super Mario Bros. Wonder is...

Post by Ziggy »

Raging Justice wrote:EDIT: The 8BitDo Pro 2 looks amazing. I may have to purchase one

8BitDo also has the Sn30 Pro, which is basically the Pro 2 but without the hand grips. So it resembles a SNES controller as oppose to a Playstation controller. It took me some time to decide between these two, but I figure the Pro 2 would be useful for more games.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I bring a N30Pro 2 around on jobs. Just like SNES but with dual shoulder buttons and analogs. It's pretty good. I use it for a 3rd gamepad on other systems often too. Way better than the docked switch side-controls pulled off. No complaints.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Yeah, both of those controllers look really good. I'm trying to decide which to get.

I made a bit of an error in my last post. I said I was playing Wonder docked, I actually meant to say I was playing it in handheld mode. It's been convenient since during the day I move around the house a lot and can just take it with me.

With those awesome looking controllers though, I'll think I'll definitely be spending more time playing it on my TV. I have a living room TV that the switch dock is connected to and the colors always look really great on that screen.

I love the design of Wonder. The levels are just the right length and they didn't go too overboard with collectibles to find. Some games like Yoshi's Woolly World have levels that feel a bit convoluted with so many collectibles and I have played some 2d platformers where some stages are a bit too long. Wonder's levels are great for pick up and play gaming, which makes it very portable friendly or great for anyone with a busy life. I've managed to sneak in some levels while waiting for a ride to a doctor's appointment or on work lunch breaks.

Those segments in each level where you find the flower that completely changes the stage are wild, crazy, and fun. Sometimes those segments feel like a virtual party with the fun way that the game makes use of music.

There are things about this game that even sort of remind me of those great Rayman games we've gotten in recent years.

I've been playing as Luigi and yeah, I totally noticed the cool animations for coming in and out of pipes that Ziggy mentioned. I like the badges. I used to get annoyed when I had to replay a level because i didn't get the bonus for landing at the very top of the flagpole at the end, until I realized that simply keeping the hand gliding badge equipped at all times completely eliminates that problem.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I used the hat gliding badge for most of the game. Until I got the badge that gives you an ability that's basically a double jump. It definitely works better to reach the top of the flag pole, or secret areas.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I love how polished the game is in its current form. I don't know if they will release any patches or updates in the future, but in its current form people have already 100% completed the game without any issues. If you have a physical copy (I bought one off amazon), you have a complete, polished game that requires no downloads and can be played completely offline (unless you're interested in the multiplayer). Perfect for collectors. See below:

https://www.doesitplay.org/game/Super%2 ... der/switch

I wish more modern games could release like this on the other consoles (Playstation, Xbox). Even PC games these days often need patches and updates to fix stuff.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Most Nintendo (first party) games are bug free on release day. Just about my entire Switch collection is physical, and I got a lot of them on launch day. I have no worries getting physical Switch games at launch.

There was the mandatory day 1 update for the Wii U that everyone was up in arms about. And I can remember Link's Awakening on the Switch having a glitch where a bomb could get you stuck in a wall or something like that, people made a big stink out of that one but it was a rare or hard thing to do. It's like any time there's a minor fix needed in a Nintendo game, the internet needs to pounce on that. But it's a rare thing for a Nintendo game, but not at all rare for Playstation, Xbox and PC.

I can't recall any examples of a Nintendo game that had a game breaking bug. There was that Skyward Sword thing on the Wii, where you could soft lock game progress. They released a save file patch tool for it. But generally Nintendo games work well on release day. I can remember through the Wii and Wii U generations, Nintendo would often push back the release date on major releases. People would get mad about that, too, but that's probably one reason why we don't see game breaking bugs in Nintendo games.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:Most Nintendo (first party) games are bug free on release day. Just about my entire Switch collection is physical, and I got a lot of them on launch day. I have no worries getting physical Switch games at launch.

There was the mandatory day 1 update for the Wii U that everyone was up in arms about. And I can remember Link's Awakening on the Switch having a glitch where a bomb could get you stuck in a wall or something like that, people made a big stink out of that one but it was a rare or hard thing to do. It's like any time there's a minor fix needed in a Nintendo game, the internet needs to pounce on that. But it's a rare thing for a Nintendo game, but not at all rare for Playstation, Xbox and PC.

I can't recall any examples of a Nintendo game that had a game breaking bug. There was that Skyward Sword thing on the Wii, where you could soft lock game progress. They released a save file patch tool for it. But generally Nintendo games work well on release day. I can remember through the Wii and Wii U generations, Nintendo would often push back the release date on major releases. People would get mad about that, too, but that's probably one reason why we don't see game breaking bugs in Nintendo games.

Yeah, that definitely makes me want to pick up a few of those first party titles. I will probably buy Super Mario RPG Remake as well. It's a good time to play more Mario games and Link's Awakening is one I want as well. I like old school Zelda games. I think there's two physical releases for Link's Awakening, probably due to what you mentioned. One is revised with an update included on the cart (no download required), but it sounds like the original one was fine too.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Nintendo always continue to revise their game cartridges too, which I think is cool. Doesn't really help the earlier adopters like me who have probably preordered or bought a lot of my games within the first 6 months, but it's cool that if you buy a Nintendo game brand new and it's one that has been out for a year or two, that you will probably get the latest cart with all the patches on.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I have to say, I absolutely HATE the musical stages and the KO arenas.

The KO arenas are the game trying to be something it's not, a combat game. i want a platformer, not a beat 'em up.

The musical stages are obnoxious because they force you to play to a certain beat and the beat always gets WAY too fast. I HATE timing based music crap in my games. Again, this is a platformer not PaRappa the Rappa or Guitar Hero

Those are the only two things about the game so far that I am NOT enjoying. I like my games to just stick to the basics.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I was in love with the game up until this point. I just reach a place simply called "Special Area" and the first stage is an absolutely rage inducing timing based music level that is making me want to throw my Switch against a wail.