Easy NES games?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Easy NES games?

Post by fuctfuct »

I like the NES quite a bit but I'm not always in the mood for the typical NES difficulty. Any (good) easy games you recommend?

I'm playing Felix the Cat today for example. Super easy but also pretty good, heh.
Ziggy

Re: Easy NES games?

Post by Ziggy »

Aside from the obvious ones?

I never found the Super Mario Bros. games to be all that difficult.

Kirby's Adventure is an excellent game, and it's definitely on the easy side.

Tetris is only as hard as the goals you set for yourself. Content on trying only to best your own score or line count? Then this is an easy game.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Kirby's Adventure is probably the best one. Not very difficult, but an absolute blast.

Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Ducktales are both great games with fantastic soundtracks that aren't too difficult.

Also, in the same vein, The Little Mermaid is a shockingly good game. Not too difficult with some great sprite work.

I never found the Mega Man games all that difficult. I would say the hardest would be the first one and Mega Man 5 being the easiest. Passwords and unlimited continues will help a ton!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

IDK what your attitude towards JRPGs might be, but the Dragon Warrior games aren't too tough if you're patient when it comes to grinding for XP. And the punishment for dying is always just "go back to town and you lose half your gold" which isn't too serious of a setback. The third one in particular is where they got the formula right and made one of the all-time best RPGs.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

fuctfuct wrote:I like the NES quite a bit but I'm not always in the mood for the typical NES difficulty. Any (good) easy games you recommend?

I'm playing Felix the Cat today for example. Super easy but also pretty good, heh.

Felix is what I thought of when I saw your title. Tons of late platformers aren't hard, like Krazy Katz, Tiny Toons, Bugs Bunny Blowout, DuckTales, and Little Mermaid.

I'd also say a lot of great games aren't really hard. The first Zelda isn't hard, for example, or Super Mario Bros 1.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Thanks for the replies. Little Mermaid and Bugs Bunny Blowout on the list for tomorrow night :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The hardest thing about Zelda and Castlevania II, in my opinion, is not knowing where you're suppose to go and what you're suppose to be doing. Otherwise they're both not so hard at all. And that's why I've made myself cheat sheets for those games.

Zelda: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50550

Castlevania II: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53352

Markies wrote:I never found the Mega Man games all that difficult. I would say the hardest would be the first one and Mega Man 5 being the easiest. Passwords and unlimited continues will help a ton!

If you're willing to abuse the pause glitch, the first Mega Man becomes a lot easier.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

This isn't meant to be some kind of humblebrag thing, but honestly, the two Contra games are pretty easy, the Internet has blown their difficulty way out of proportion. With the caveat that a controller with autofire is recommended, tapping the B button constantly for ~20 minutes isn't fun or interesting. With that, and the spreadshot, you can pretty much tear through the whole game. You don't even need the famous 30 lives.

For a slightly more esoteric recommendation...Samurai Pizza Cats.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ghegs wrote:This isn't meant to be some kind of humblebrag thing, but honestly, the two Contra games are pretty easy, the Internet has blown their difficulty way out of proportion. With the caveat that a controller with autofire is recommended, tapping the B button constantly for ~20 minutes isn't fun or interesting. With that, and the spreadshot, you can pretty much tear through the whole game. You don't even need the famous 30 lives.

I think the main reason Contra is so easy is because the NES controls are so tight, but the levels are designed to be harder with the laggy arcade controls. Further, memorization leads to easy domination in this game, and the game is so short it's easy to memorize. If it were a longer game it would be harder. So at first the game is pretty hard, but it's easy to get a handle on after some dedicated play time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Capcom and Konami hop-and-bop platformers are where it’s at if you’re looking for east, high-quality NES games. I heartily recommend DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc. if you’re looking for something fun you can beat pretty easily. A few others that might interest you:

Flintstones
Kickle Cubicle
Kung Fu
Puss ‘n Boots

I recall easily beating each of those over a single rental period when I was a kid; so, I’m sure they’re not that hard either.