Best 3DS exclusives or unique ports

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Best 3DS exclusives or unique ports

Post by marurun »

With the pending end of the 3DS eshop, I expect physical prices to rise as well, especially since the eshop was sort of a release valve on rarity issues. I think it’s appropriate, then, to start talking about the best 3DS exclusives or unique ports so that folks can start acquiring before it’s too late. This isn’t my area of expertise, but it is an area I’m interested in learning more about. I want to start getting some of these titles before it is too late. Please share your thoughts!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Best 3DS exclusives or unique ports

Post by Nemoide »

I'm also no expert - the 3DS never clicked with me like the original DS did. I didn't like the loading times or home screen so I never fully explored its library as much as I'd have liked, so I'm looking forward to seeing what other folks recommend.

Here are some of my recommendations, most of which I haven't even played but am going on reputation:
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - a fully 3D remake of the PS1 Dragon Warrior VII with a new translation, one of the best games in the series if you're looking for a very long DQ adventure!
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - IMO this is the worst Ace Attorney game but I don't see it getting translated anytime soon
Project X Zone
Sega 3D Classics Collection - excellent ports of classic Sega games that are really tailored to the 3DS' strengths - they have options for gyroscope controls and a view with a fake arcade cabinet, plus the 3D is a nice bonus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse - this is a unique game and not just an enhanced version of SMT IV!
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers

Then there's series like Etrian Odyssey, Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy games that all have exclusive games. If those ever looked intriguing, they're probably worth picking up sooner rather than later!
opa
128-bit

Re: Best 3DS exclusives or unique ports

Post by opa »

I started a "best 3ds games under $15" thread a couple years ago that... I completely neglected to finish. lol
Some ports are on that list and I guarantee the prices in that thread are now incorrect, what with the crazy game prices now.

From that thread I'd add:

-The Zelda N64 remakes - Unless you're just dead-set on playing the N64 versions, these versions are so much more fun to play. The added touch screen buttons keep the menu flipping down to a minimum (Water Temple, anyone?).

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - No bones about it: I'm a Tri fanboy; but for good reason! They finally got the controls right. Up until that point the Monster Hunter series had such terrible controls on PS2 and PSP that is was unbearable. I could not believe people put up with "the claw" in order to play those games. Along comes Tri with logical control schemes and suddenly the series is playable. Going off memory here: while there are some free dlc quests to download off the eshop, 3 Ultimate contains a lot of the online quests on the cart. You can also transfer your game save to the Wii U and continue playing on a big screen if you like.