NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary GBA

by Gucci Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 pm

The crazy thing about the GBA is the lack of support by Nintendo, given the massive sales of the console and the games.

What I mean is that Nintendo barely dipped into the library for re-releases. There were only two such occasions: the VC for the Wii U and the ambassador program for the people who bought a 3DS. Outside of that, I can’t think of any other time they did a VC like thing for the games.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:07 pm

As some of you know, I just recently posted a thread about me finally tackling the GBA library in more depth. I posted my backstory there, but to sum it up... I was in high school during the GBA years. At that time, a portable was just something that didn't click with me. I had an OG GB, which I used the he'll out of when I was younger. But by the time I was in high school, if I was out it was because I was doing something with friends, and if I was home I was gaming on a home console.

I've always had a love for the GBA though, despite never spending a lot of time with it. I've messed around with a few games over the years, here and there. But now I want to finally really dig in to its library!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:48 pm

Glad you’re jumping in now with it. Lots of games to play.

Not sure if it’s taboo here but given the cost of games and the lack of places around my area to buy said games, the Everdrive has been a great tool for me. Without it, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t have discovered the games I’ve played.

(If the Everdrive or emulation in general is taboo, my bad)
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Nah, flash carts aren't taboo around here. Actually, my main tool for digging into the GBA library is the Everdrive GBA X5 mini.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:20 pm

I could replay COTM on the Switch.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:25 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I could replay COTM on the Switch.

That's true.

I like that they are re-releasing them though. Might give PS4/Xbox players a chance to play them.

I hope they do a physical release of some sort

I posted the announcement just to show that even in 2021, GBA games are still getting people's attention
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:04 pm

Playing the GBA Mario World port. Interesting to see all the changes made: the washed out colors, the improved save system, a Luigi who actually performs differently than Mario, voice samples, more Yoshi coins, etc. Pretty excellent game. Of course, so was the original.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:09 pm

I think they did a pretty good job with the SNES ports for the GBA: Mario series, LTTP, and Donkey Kong series.

We’re they better on the SNES? Sure, maybe. Is it awesome to play those classics on the go? Absolutely!

I don’t have experience with the NES line of ports so I can’t speak to that. Does anyone know how those ports were?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Gucci wrote:I don’t have experience with the NES line of ports so I can’t speak to that. Does anyone know how those ports were?

They’re all very solid. Some, like Castlevania and Metroid, supports saves like the FDS versions, which make them much more accessible.
Return to Nintendo