Anyone getting the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch ?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii

Are you getting one?

Yes!
29%
Maybe later...
No votes
Only if someone gets me one for Xmas!
No votes
Nope.
71%

Total votes: 7

Ziggy

Anyone getting the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch ?

Post by Ziggy »

I think it looks pretty neat, but at $50 you really have to want it as a collectible. Maybe if it was $30 I would be tempted to pick it up as a fun thing to mess around with, but $50 seems a bit much for what it is. I guess with the holidays coming up they'll probably sell a good amount of these.

opa
128-bit

Re: Anyone getting the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch ?

Post by opa »

No.

If it were a game and watch compilation device it would be an instant purchase. Unfortunately it's just another Mario machine.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Bought one as a collectable. Looks nice, plays good, a little lightweight and probably not worth 50, but I never even seen an original before so I picked it up. Looks pretty complicated to hack so I'll just leave it be. I usually don't buy these kind of things but 50 ain't to bad for a once in awhile kind of purchase.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

A Legend of Zelda unit came out. I grabbed two for Christmas gifts. (Truthfully, one is for me lol)

Three Zelda titles is a bit better than Mario games tbh.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I heard the Zelda one is a better value than the Mario one.

And going off of your first comment about compilations: if you’re interested, you should seek out the two DS compilation Game and Watch games that was distributed through the old Club Nintendo program. They are neat little collectors items.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Yeah I've had those for years. Pretty neat games.
I wish they'd make a all-in-one game and watch though.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

I don't know if it is because I just like zelda more than mario- but it feels like zelda is more playable on that screen/console size than mario is.

I picked up both. They are neat little collectables to put next to the growing gameboy collection. But they aren't worth it for any long hours of games. You'd be better off playing these games on original console or switch online imho.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Outside of switch online, I think every game across the two units can be played on a game boy of some kind. I need to double check or be corrected here but wasn’t the lost levels included as a secret to SMB Deluxe for the GB?

Then you have the GB Zelda and the NES series for the GBA Zelda I& II.

Or Everdrive everything and call it a day :lol:
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

i'd like to get the zelda one but the mario has just sat on my shelf for the last year or whatever. for collectors, these internal batteries may be an issue down the line, so i may pass.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It does not scale the emulated picture to the LCD well. I would not enjoy it. If it came with a well-made low resolution LCD with a DPI sorta like the Game Gear, or an ultra high definition one with scaling options, it could compete with some of the already available devices that can play it and make it look good. It does not even try to compete with them. Same reason I didn't get the Game Gear Micro. At least integer scale when engineering something at a premium price.
As far as legality goes, I've paid Nintendo directly for SMB at least 18 times. I will play it on every new device I own with controls and a screen because I can, and I play until the end if the novelty factor is there. Game and watch is boringly mediocre.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage