Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
opa
128-bit

Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now?

Post by opa »

I've really been into Game Boy and Game Boy Color games lately. Most games are simple and easy to jump into. I've especially been enjoying Revenge of the Gator. I've made it to what appears to be the last part of the table but I still can't beat it (or whatever beating a pinball game means). My score is still shy of the 500k of the base score but it's getting better.

Anybody else playing gb/gbc games?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:Anybody else playing gb/gbc games?

yes. I hopped in my Doloreon, and hit 88 and now it's 2009 again.

Very recently I've played:

Aladdin (GB)
https://noisereduxplaysgames.weebly.com/blog/aladdin

Play Action Football (GB)
https://noisereduxplaysgames.weebly.com ... -31st-2019

Batman: The Video Game (GB)
https://noisereduxplaysgames.weebly.com ... video-game
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Gameboy noise > dreamcast noise

I watched some gameplay of Aladdin. Kinda looks like the snes but more jerky? I have seen that Batman game in a store recently. I'm not a superhero fan so I gave it a pass.

I recently reaquired dragon warrior i&ii on gbc. I'm at level 8 in the first game and have made it across the river to the other continent. I love how streamlined they made this version compared to the NES. There's actually a rom hack where the experience is doubled but I don't see a reason for it? It really isn't all that grindy. Not sure I'll bother with dragon warrior 2 or not. I may find a different game boy rpg.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I love the Gameboy. As you put it, it’s so easy to jump right into a game. I’ve beaten a few Gameboy and Gameboy Color games this year - see the game’s beaten thread for details! - but right now, I’m playing Pocket Bomberman, a Gameboy Color launch title. It is very, very OK, and as a platformer it deviates a bit from the Bomberman formula. It’s pretty short, though, and I’ll probably beat it tonight.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

opa wrote:Gameboy noise > dreamcast noise

I'm back, baby!

@prfsnl: I remember having fun w/ Pocket Bomberman, but I don't remember much about it now. So yeah. Enjoyable but forgettable.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Recently played through Shantae in a GBC with a BennVenn backlit screen.
It was a glorious experience. Weird playing a cart that it valued at ~$400. Too bad it's so scarce, as it's a wonderful game (and possibly the only MetroiVania made for the GBC). But then, that's what emu and flash carts are for.

Currently have Quest for Camelot in there. It is a very sub-par Zelda clone. But can be fun too.

Batman for original GB is awesome BTW. Easily makes my top 10 list. I once traded Metroid II for it and don't really regret it. I have since bought Metroid II back and no longer have Batman (in my want list, I think, but usually play it on my Game Boy Movie Player (most basic of flash carts, but I like the focus).
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

After Installing the Frackleshack screen, I played through the romhack Super Mario Land DX and now i'm playing through Super Mario Land II DX. Beautiful.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:I'm back, baby!

Then put your old avatar back... and stop stealing a catchphrase of my old avatar!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I recently started Metal Walker as a game I can play for a bit on my break at work. I recently finished Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 and while I could happily keep playing it to get more monsters/visit new worlds, there's no real reason to, so I thought I'd take aim at something else on my backlog.
This was actually one of my first Game Boy Color games: I was a Sega kid and wasn't keen on getting a Nintendo-anything until they announced a new Commander Keen game. I was a huge fan of the CK series... what a disappointment that was!

Metal Walker is a "Pokemon-clone" by Capcom with pretty unique gameplay: instead of typical RPG combat, your robot is kind of bouncing around an arena to hit into other robots and you try to knock them into scanners instead of catching them. I really liked it when I first played it, but I never actually beat it. I recently replaced the save battery, deleting my old save, and giving me a good reason to restart the game!

I still think this is a fun game that doesn't get enough attention, but now that I'm a more experienced gamer, I can see it's flaws a little more easily. The biggest problem is the high encounter rate and the fact that you need to grind right away just to survive moving a few screens beyond where you start out. Maybe it's a little too old-school for the casual kid market Capcom was going for. Oh well, I don't mind grinding since this is mostly a lunch-break game!

Oh and I mentioned how I was a latecomer to the Game Boy Color. Capcom was a company on my radar because I knew they made a lot of great games, so some of the first games I got were Metal Walker and Mega Man Xtreme. Unfortunately I passed over games like Resident Evil Gaiden (I hadn't played through the earlier games!) and Shantae (because looked like it was for little girls)... if only I made better game-buying choices I'd have a *really* brag-worthy GBC collection.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I never played Shantae (didn't care to even when it was a $5 game) but I did emulate RE Gaiden for about 30 minutes the other day. It's an interesting take of RE on very limited hardware. I'm okay with the combat system but I dont think that the resident evil experience can be had on a game boy. Maybe it gets better but I was thinking the entire time "I could be playing RE3 on the PlayStation right now."