Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Game Boy/Game Boy Color - what are you playing right now

Post by alienjesus »

Loving the Game Boy talk. It's been a little while since I picked up some GB games, but I did get a pretty decent batch earlier in the year, which included:

Dragon Warrior Monsters
Fortified Zone
Mercenary Force
Darkwing Duck
Mole Mania
Lock 'n' Chase
Spanky's Quest
Great Greed
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles III: Radical Rescue
Kirby's Star Stacker
Chalvo 55

A friend also gifted me a few GBC games too - Bomberman Quest, and both of the Looney Tunes Collector games - Martian Alert and Martian Revenge. The latter 2 are surprisingly good for being licensed games on GBC - they're nothing truly special, but if you see them they're worth considering.
Last edited by alienjesus on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I picked up the Hamtaro GBC game in Japanese for a steal of 100 yen a few weeks ago, but my GBA has stopped working TwT. I'd been meaning to buy an SP for a while now, so I guess I really have to now if I wanna play any GB stuff Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Played some Revenge of the 'Gator this evening. Not a bad pinball game. The transitions between screens are not quite as jarring as some (pokemon pinball). The movements of the ball/table are really smooth as well. A good title to grab if you see it for a few bucks.

I've also been plugging along at Pokemon Silver. Every few days I'll play for about 30 minutes or so to get a quick RPG fix. I like the Pokemon games because there's not a huge story commitment. You know you have to collect 8 badges and fight in a tournament so it's not like you can get lost or anything.

edit: oh! I fixed my GBC. I thought I was going to have to replace the membranes for the buttons but a quick cleaning of the contacts fixed the malfunctioning buttons.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Every few months I get drawn back to the GB/GBC games because there are some gaps in my knowledge there, and they play like stripped down NES games with huge QOL boost. But recently I have been playing Infinity. It is a unfinished prototype sequel to the mash of Dragon Warrior and Ultima 4 made for the TI82 called Joltima. It was to be a GBC game back in 01, but the GBA killed its life. Eventually the creator released the rom (in 2016) and I played a bit on my DSI XL but the emulator ran into issues at one point. So I recently fired it up on Visualboy and it has been a delight. It is a superbly well made SRPG on the GBC. Had it been released back in the day it would be at the top of any Hidden Gem list right now.

https://infinity-gbc.org/
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

^cool. I'll have to look into it.

Just started Planet of the Apes on GBC. It's a cinematic platformer-style game. Each stage you have to make it to the end while killing enemies and collecting flags. I'm going for 100% kills and flags; not sure if that does anything but I've made it my goal to complete this thing.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Either I just suck at Donkey Kong Country (possible) or the mine cart segments are far more devious on the Game Boy version of the game. I feel like the jumps and obstacles require more pixel-perfect timing over the SNES counterpart.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

opa wrote:Either I just suck at Donkey Kong Country (possible) or the mine cart segments are far more devious on the Game Boy version of the game. I feel like the jumps and obstacles require more pixel-perfect timing over the SNES counterpart.

The mine cart levels are infamous in the GBC version. Less warning for jumps, harder to see and I'm pretty sure the hitboxes are different because it is notably harder.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Glad to know it's not me. Outside of the first couple of stages, I've had to be on my toes and plan every jump or attack. I revisited the original DKC for comparison and I was able to play it casually and actually enjoy the stages. The GBC version wants you dead.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I haven't played the GBC version in ages. Isn't it more zoomed in than the SNES game? So you have less on screen at once, which gives you less time to react to things coming at you from off screen.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Yeah, not only is it zoomed in but the field of view is dependent upon the direction you're facing. So if you're running right you see a little more of the right. However it makes for a spastic screen if you're moving left/right to avoid enemies and pitfalls.