U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
opa
128-bit

Re: U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

Post by opa »

Unfortunately I don't even think the Tingle Bottles work anymore with Miiverse gone; although the other improvements were nice. The sailing speed boost definitely made it more playable for people that hated the boating segments.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:Unfortunately I don't even think the Tingle Bottles work anymore with Miiverse gone; although the other improvements were nice. The sailing speed boost definitely made it more playable for people that hated the boating segments.

Yeah, no more Tingle bottle since the Miiverse service went down. Which is a shame because it was a unique experience. And it made sailing fun. Between the swift sail, and picking up and reading Tingle bottle messages while still sailing, it made the sailing segments just fly by.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I am looking at getting a Switch Lite but WiiU always looked fun to me. Help me out...

So are the notable, non-ported WiiU to Switch Nintendo titles basically these?

- Game & Wario
- Nintendo Land
- Zelda - Wind Waker HD
- Zelda - Twilight Princess HD
- Super Smash Bros.
- Super Mario Maker (original)
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

YWW not the same as crafted world right? What am I missing or vice-versa, should have omitted?

Thanks all.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

IDK about a definitive list, but consider that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have other ports so they're not Wii U exclusives. Of course, they're non-HD in their original forms, but still very playable. And while I'll always have a soft spot for the original Mario Maker, the sequel outdoes it in every way and the online sharing of the sequel will outlive the original.

The Switch has a much better library, so it's hard to not recommend it over the U. However, the U is a solid console that I enjoyed thoroughly. And it has the unique dual screen ability that the Switch cannot emulate. Maybe it came off as more of a gimmick in some games, but it was an absolutely blast of an experience for others. For example, in Wind Waker you can switch items on the fly or view the map without having to ever pause. Or in Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, there's a few on rails levels that you aim through the Gamepad screen. Those levels are much harder to aim in the Switch port.

IDK what the Wii U hardware costs these days, but I know a lot of the games are dirt cheap the last I checked (especially those with Switch ports).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Funny enough... a WiiU in good condition is going for about the same price for a Switch Lite... but obviously the portable vs TV setup there.

Good point on game prices. Some of the ones I listed are also on 3DS.

The U gamepad really pushes the system price up. They never sold that individually, did they?

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Correct, the Gamepad was only bundled with the console itself.

Forgot to mention, I believe the Wii U eShop is still online. And it has some things that you can't get on the Switch. Like Wii, GBA and DS games. I guess you'd also have to consider that the Wii U is fully backward compatible with the Wii. And you can do Gamecube games with a soft mod.

For someone that hasn't owned either though, it would be hard not to recommend the Switch over the U. The Switch is a better console with a bigger library, and is currently being supported unlike the U. Also, it uses solid state memory for games. The U uses an optical drive, will almost always ends up having problems down the road (if that's a concern for you). While the U can be used as a "portable" console to a limited degree, the Switch is truly portable.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I still like the Wii U more than the Switch but I'd be pretty hard-pressed to recommend one at this point. Unless you're absolutely dying to play some of the games you listed, I think a Switch has more potential. You get access to all the ports they've made and all the new/upcoming titles; plus the eshop has some good indie stuff.

Any reason you're looking at a Lite? Being able to connect to a tv sure is grand with the standard version.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, the Lite can't dock to a TV? If that's right, don't get the Lite.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm oddly always attracted to underdog systems :lol: so WiiU appeals to me there. I wanted one when new but never got around to it.

Yeah, Lite was price point and availability. Main Switch model very hard to find new without pricing above MSRP. I mean, I do like handhelds as well. TV a good bonus though.

Good advice.

opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

The gray standard console is in stock on nintendo's website. Refurbished but they do good work restoring consoles.