NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 am

There’s a wave of retro releases for the Switch today! I’m addition to yesterday’s Zombie Nation release, we get:

Cotton 100%
Panorama Cotton
The Immortal

The Immortal release includes both the NES and Genesis versions of the game. We’re also getting a couple of retro re-releases:

Black Widow Recharged
Head Over Heels

The latter is, apparently, one of the very best games for European microcomputers, and it’s only $3.99. (The rest are, in my opinion, a bit overpriced, but I’ll probably buy them anyway…)
opa
128-bit

by opa Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:15 am

chupon wrote:Just thought I’d share for those Switch Schmup Physical cart lovers - in about three hours, limited run games is taking orders for Mushihimisama.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... hihimesama

Thanks for the heads up
opa
128-bit

by opa Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:00 pm

I've been playing the Witcher 3 a lot. So far I'm around 25 hours in at level 13. You really wouldn't think it but this game is perfect for handheld mode for short play sessions. There are so many quests available that it's easy to get a couple of them done and then save and quit. Then you can go back to the story quests as you have longer stretches of play time available.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:20 pm

Someone pinch me!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/ ... for-switch

I am so, so excited! COWABUNGA!!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:17 am

According to the 5 year rule, isn't the Switch approaching its end of life cycle? I know they probably push it another 2 years but I am not even hearing about anything in the pipeline. How is it holding for everyone else? Do you feel its still current or showing its age?
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:53 am

RCBH928 wrote:According to the 5 year rule, isn't the Switch approaching its end of life cycle? I know they probably push it another 2 years but I am not even hearing about anything in the pipeline. How is it holding for everyone else? Do you feel its still current or showing its age?

Nintendo has claimed they see the system as mid-cycle, but I'd bet they have a clear plan where to go if interest in the system flags. Even a relatively boring path like a New Switch, Switch Pro, Switch 2, or Super Switch would probably be a strong option for them. But the way ARM/mobile tech keeps advancing, I'm guessing they probably have a cyclic process for updating any hardware prototypes they have held in reserve. Nintendo aren't fools.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:56 am

I am just thinking Steam Deck is already out and it can do so much more, I know they are probably not competing for the exact same market but I can see many younger ones wanting the cool new steam handheld that can play PC games. I am also thinking a CPU like Apple M1 that can give similar performance to intel chips for 1/3rd of the power consumption could be highly utilized in hand held gaming.

I wonder if Apple will ever expand in the hand held market, they already have a ton of game library for iOS. Given Switch sales, there is a lot money to be made there. They are already attempting to enter the gaming market with Apple Arcade.
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 am

I am 100% certain Apple will not (at least not within the next 5-10 years) even consider making a handheld console. There will be no M1 Switch, despite how perfect that silicon would be for the task.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:52 am

idk , it makes sense to expand into handheld consoles since they already make handheld devices with huge library of games and they have the chip for it and already trying to penetrate the market with Apple Arcade subscription. It makes more sense to expand there instead of making a film studio or the rumored about for like 4 years now.
marurun

by marurun Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:06 pm

Game consoles are not high-margin items and they don’t capitalize on the service model quite as neatly as Apple’s existing ecosystem. It doesn’t make economic sense for them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Nintendo