Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote:I really feel like physical collecting in the modern era is largely not worth it. I've gotten used to getting my games digital. People stubbornly refuse to admit it but physical is dead and has been for some time. When 90% of game releases require you to download DLC, patches, or updates then PHYSICAL IS DEAD. One way or another you're being forced to download digital content whether you buy physical or not.

There is some truth to that, but there are still games released that have all of the content on their cartridge and disc and/or are still functional without patches or DLC. Didn't SquareEnix even make a big thing recently about how Final Fantasy XVI is all on the disc(s) and that there isn't a day 1 patch? (Not sure if that's true, but I am sure I read about it) Sure, eventually there will be some minor bug that gets patched and there might be DLC, but the game will always be playable with just what is on the disc, assuming what I heard is correct.

Nintendo also do something that practically no other company does. They continue to produce new cartridges for old games that have been revised with the patches applied. Much like they have always done, but it's interesting they still do it in the modern era. For example, my copy of Breath of the Wild was bought at launch and is on version 1, so is missing all the patches. Whereas someone who bought the game in the last few years will have a version that is already up to date and doesn't require any patches. They even released a complete edition in Japan that has all of the DLC on it as well as all the patches (it also also supports English).

Overall though, I have learned to embrace digital too and don't stress too much about patches and DLC etc. I get that there's this belief that games are carved up during development to create DLC and that games are now shipped "broken" and fixed later, but at least the patch system is quick and convenient to the consumer. I remember back in 2000, two or my favourite games were released: WWF No Mercy on the N64 and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. No Mercy had a horrendous save bug that meant you lost all your progress randomly every couple of days (or sometimes even within a couple of hours). Metropolis Street Racer (initial PAL release) had a ton of bugs, with multiplayer races not working properly, the single player mode's kudos system not working properly and it being impossible to unlock all of the vehicles and tracks. We had to wait months for fixed copies to be produced and had to deal with the publisher's customer services in order have your copy exchanged for a "good" new copy. That took months and months and some people just never even bothered.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:I really feel like physical collecting in the modern era is largely not worth it. I've gotten used to getting my games digital. People stubbornly refuse to admit it but physical is dead and has been for some time. When 90% of game releases require you to download DLC, patches, or updates then PHYSICAL IS DEAD. One way or another you're being forced to download digital content whether you buy physical or not.

On the Switch there is still an important reason to go for physical if you have a family with more than one Switch: physical games can be shared more easily across users. Nintendo locks downloaded titles to the user account level. On the PRIMARY Switch any user account can play the downloaded games, but on non-primary Switches only the purchasing user can play them, and only if their account isn't in use elsewhere. So if my kid wants to play Let's Go Pikachu! he can only play it under his child account on the Switch that is my primary because I purchased it under my account. And if he accidentally opens the game under my account I then can't play anything on the other Switch because my account is in use. This is even a problem for physical titles. If he wants to play Kirby under my account because that's where we unlocked all the content together last year, I then can't play Zelda on the OLED.

And this isn't just for other accounts on the same Switch. This is even for family accounts. My kid's account is listed as a child's account as part of the family group and he still has no ability to access downloaded titles purchased under my account using his child account unless it's on the main Switch.

This is a uniquely Nintendo problem and is stupid and frustrated and does make physical copies a little more flexible (though not problem-free).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Day one patches come about for two reasons. The first is that modern software is incredibly complex, so there are always bugs lurking. After a game goes to the printer to have its physical copies made you have a couple months before it lands on store shelves; QA spends that time doing more checking because why wouldn't they? And that leads to more bug discovery, so day one patch. The second is that the console owners have a certification system for anything that runs on their platforms; this process is more onerous for a full build than for a patch, so at some point it makes more sense to call the latest thing that passed certification "gold" and then get additional fixes through patches.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote:

There is some truth to that, but there are still games released that have all of the content on their cartridge and disc and/or are still functional without patches or DLC. Didn't SquareEnix even make a big thing recently about how Final Fantasy XVI is all on the disc(s) and that there isn't a day 1 patch? (Not sure if that's true, but I am sure I read about it) Sure, eventually there will be some minor bug that gets patched and there might be DLC, but the game will always be playable with just what is on the disc, assuming what I heard is correct.

Nintendo also do something that practically no other company does. They continue to produce new cartridges for old games that have been revised with the patches applied. Much like they have always done, but it's interesting they still do it in the modern era. For example, my copy of Breath of the Wild was bought at launch and is on version 1, so is missing all the patches. Whereas someone who bought the game in the last few years will have a version that is already up to date and doesn't require any patches. They even released a complete edition in Japan that has all of the DLC on it as well as all the patches (it also also supports English).

Overall though, I have learned to embrace digital too and don't stress too much about patches and DLC etc. I get that there's this belief that games are carved up during development to create DLC and that games are now shipped "broken" and fixed later, but at least the patch system is quick and convenient to the consumer. I remember back in 2000, two or my favourite games were released: WWF No Mercy on the N64 and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. No Mercy had a horrendous save bug that meant you lost all your progress randomly every couple of days (or sometimes even within a couple of hours). Metropolis Street Racer (initial PAL release) had a ton of bugs, with multiplayer races not working properly, the single player mode's kudos system not working properly and it being impossible to unlock all of the vehicles and tracks. We had to wait months for fixed copies to be produced and had to deal with the publisher's customer services in order have your copy exchanged for a "good" new copy. That took months and months and some people just never even bothered.

I know some games can still be played without patches/updates, and some people still feel that those games are worth buying on physical, but I just really hate the idea of having the sub optimal build of a game on physical media. I don't feel motivated to buy the unpolished, lacking version of a game just for the satisfaction of having it on physical. If I play something, I want to play the best version of it. I'm like this with everything, if I watch a movie, I want to see the best version of it. So if there is a director's cut, that's the version I'm gonna get. If I'm watching an Asian, martial arts, classic, I'm hunting down the un-edited, uncut, undubbed, version.

Now games getting NEW physical releases with updates/patches included is interesting. If there was a website or something that listed all of the games that got physical re-releases, I might be interested in tracking some of those games down and buying them on physical.

I actually wish game companies would just put a game out digitally, get all your sales from the people who will buy it that way in order to play the game as soon as possible, then release a COMPLETE, physical release later (like those Game of the Year editions). I just don't see the point of putting a game out on physical on its release date, knowing full well that you're gonna have updates, patches, DLC, and who knows what else that won't be on that physical copy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

For me, a huge part, easily the biggest part tbh, of why I still prefer to buy physical copies of stuff is that I can resell if it I want or need to. Owning something physically gives me a lot more agency over my purchase as a customer, and that's what I prefer to prioritize compared to the convenience of having something digitally, even on a portable platform like the 3DS or the Switch.

That's not to say that I also just like the physical feeling of owning something for when I do want stuff just to have it. It's just to say that it's not what I have first and foremost in my mind when I'm deciding what I'm gonna buy and how.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I've actually started buying some physical Switch games for reasons I think some of you state already. I've been inspired by the fact that some games have been re-released on revised cartridges with updates/patches/DLC, etc. on the cart. Plus, I've realized that some games not having certain updates on the cart really isn't a big deal. Like for example, two of the updates for Octopath Traveler simply add in additional language options that I'll never use. Sometimes updates fix bugs that are rare or have in game work arounds, so they're completely unnecessary too. Super Mario Bros. Wonder, however people feel about that game, is complete and polished. Nintendo recently released an update for it, but the game does NOT need any updates. I finished it 100% with zero issues (other than hating some of the game design choices and the shitty boss fights)

It all depends on the game though, you have to look at each one on a case by case basis and determine if what's on the cart if good enough for you. At least that's what I'm doing. Some games are just too broken on cart without patches, so they're a no go for me. Also, some games are just missing way too many significant updates or DLC for me to consider buying them. Although I actually don't mind certain games missing DLC on cart simply because I feel some games are way too bloated with unnecessary DLC anyway. It they had actually included Arkham Knight on the cart for this upcoming trilogy MINUS the DLC I would have been perfectly okay with it because Arkham Knight had truckloads of pointless DLC in a game that was already stuffed with content to begin with. I think I'd be fine with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on physical too as all the added DLC for that game looks absurd. Like I wouldn't have the time or patience to do it all. I think the base game would be good enough for me so long as it runs without any major issues and that's what's on the cart.

I'm bummed about the Arkham Trilogy only having Asylum, but Asylum is a classic and great game. I think I might wait a few months for the physical to drop in price and then I'll buy it and just pretend that I'm actually buying the physical release of Arkham Asylum and pretend that Trilogy isn't even in the title LOL. Is it possible there will be a complete Asian release with all the games on cartridge like Final Fantasy X/X-2, River City Girls 1 • 2 (though RCG 2 needs a patch), and the Rockman X Anniversary Collections? I've noticed that non-US countries sometimes get better releases, and sometimes get physical releases that the US doesn't get at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

That was actually a pretty good direct. I picked up Penny's Big Breakaway straight away! Been excited for that one since it was announced. I can't believe they are finally remastering the original Battlefront games! That makes me so happy. And new Super Monkey Ball and Endless Ocean games? Awesome.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So it sounds like the Switch will release in Q1 2025...and people are acting like this is a big, huge deal. Am I living in crazy world? Is there really a massive difference between fourth quarter 2024 and like March of 2025? Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by crazy people. March of next year will be here in like a blink of an eye anyway, the years go by fast.

Anyway, I'm looking at some of these Xbox exclusives coming to Switch and I'm still irritated that we're not getting Rare classics like the Viva Pinata games. Penny's Big Break is definitely something I want to check out, a physical would have been nice but maybe that will come later. Sometimes late physical releases are better, get to have all those updates on cartridge. I'm just impatient, that's all. I'm an old timer who still remembers when every game came out on physical on release date and WORKED PERFECTLY WITHOUT NEEDING PATCHES OR UPDATES. I miss the pre-internet days of gaming.

Lots of stuff to play right now, Mario vs Donkey Kong (I'm working my way through the post game stuff now), Tomb Raider (even though Crystal Dynamics can shove it as far as I'm concerned), Penny's Big Break, and I actually am optimistic about the Princess Peach game. Unicorn Overlord should be great, the last two games from Vanillaware, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir and 13 Sentinels, are masterpieces. I want to try Epic Mickey, I played a bit of Disney Illusion Island and it's fun. Contra looks like...Contra, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT EVERYONE WANTS :lol:

Should be a fun year
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote:Unicorn Overlord should be great, the last two games from Vanillaware, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir and 13 Sentinels, are masterpieces.

Oh that's who is behind that game. Now I am even more intrigued. I wasn't fully paying attention whilst that trailer aired.

Raging Justice wrote:I want to try Epic Mickey, I played a bit of Disney Illusion Island and it's fun.

I picked up the original Epic Mickey just a couple of months ago. It seems pretty fun.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Raging Justice wrote:I'm an old timer who still remembers when every game came out on physical on release date and WORKED PERFECTLY WITHOUT NEEDING PATCHES OR UPDATES. I miss the pre-internet days of gaming.

Eh…I’m not so sure that was the case back then. Some old games were pretty broken at release and could definitely have used a post-release update. (As someone who bought AD&D Heroes of the Lance for the NES at launch, I wish the game had received an update to make it not so terrible.) Also, games were much simpler then; so, I think it was a lot easier to address potentially game-breaking bugs before release. Still, it didn’t always happen, and there are plenty of old games with game-breaking bugs and a few that are literally impossible to beat (e.g., Rastan for the C64).