NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Total number of SNES games released in the United States

by aaron Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am

one question: can anyone provide a date when nintendo switched original GB packaging to GB color?

i.e. from this:

to this:

the GB (orig.) PDF up top lists both of these together, since the black GBC carts were still compatible with the original GB.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am

Zing wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:Interesting that they list Chavez II - I know it had a limited geographic release (Southwest US) but I always thought it was unlicensed.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0109

Nice, wow great shot of the entire packaging.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am

aaron wrote:one question: can anyone provide a date when nintendo switched original GB packaging to GB color?

I don't understand the question. There was so "switching". Games that had the black carts and supported extra colors on the GBC got the GBC packaging. It looks like possibly every game from Nov 1998 on was released as such. I went through the list and looked up around 30 of the ~90 games released after the introduction of the GBC and they all were GBC compatible versions (black cart and GBC package).

Are you suggesting that Nintendo went back and changed the packaging even for non-black carts?
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am

retrosportsgamer wrote:Interesting that they list Chavez II - I know it had a limited geographic release (Southwest US) but I always thought it was unlicensed.

Nintendo Power reviewed it; they said a negative point of the game was that it was in Spanish :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm

^ Interestingly enough, it only commands around $15 for the cart on eBay. It was a title I was looking at for an upcoming piece I'm working on for Racketboy so appreciate that snescentral link.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Zing wrote:
aaron wrote:one question: can anyone provide a date when nintendo switched original GB packaging to GB color?

I don't understand the question. There was so "switching". Games that had the black carts and supported extra colors on the GBC got the GBC packaging. It looks like possibly every game from Nov 1998 on was released as such. I went through the list and looked up around 30 of the ~90 games released after the introduction of the GBC and they all were GBC compatible versions (black cart and GBC package).

Are you suggesting that Nintendo went back and changed the packaging even for non-black carts?

what i mean is that in the pdf's provided above, there are black GBC-enhanced carts in the original game boy list. these were released with the GBC packaging, so i would consider them GBC games, not GB games. if that makes sense. i'm just wondering if there's a way to identify all of the black GBC carts away from the original Gray list.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 pm

You can assume that any game listed from November 1998 and on is a black cart.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
nielse16
24-bit

by nielse16 Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Ten years later, I think I have answered my own question. The official PDF from Nintendo listed 715 games. Add the 7 below to get the actual number of 722:

716. Chavez
717. FIFA Soccer '97
718. Frogger
719. Miracle Piano Teaching System
720. Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer
721. Super 3D Noah's Ark
722. Super Copa

Games mentioned in this thread that are not included:

Barbie Vacation Adventure (prototype)
Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge (promotional)
FIFA Road to the World Cup 98 (PAL)
M.A.C.S. Basic Rifle Marksmanship (U.S. Army)
Spirou (PAL)
Star Fox Super Weekend (promotional)
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (on the PDF as 5-in-1 Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)
Super Scope 6 (on the PDF as Blastris/LazerBlazer)

Thanks to shortstop444 & oops @ Video Game Sage and Johnny, Tyler, & Stephan @ Collector's Quest Podcast for helping me figure this out.

P.S. Wikipedia lists 718, but it Chavez as a Mexican variant of Riddick Bowe Boxing, Chavez II as a Mexican variant of Legends of the Ring, Super Copa as a Brazilian variant of Tony Meola's Sidekicks Soccer, and Super 3D Noah's Ark is in the unlicensed section.
Return to Nintendo