CPU Fan Help

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Markies
Next-Gen

CPU Fan Help

Post by Markies »

I am not good with computers. I have never built one and I don't even know how to do that. So, I need a little help in replacing a part that is going bad.

My computer was built about 10 years ago by my brother-in-law. He is the one who is very wise and technical when it comes to computers.

My fan that is bolted to the back of my PC is beginning to make noises as it runs, especially late at night. I have been looking into replacing it, but I get lost and confused when it comes to the Specs. I don't know what type to get or even what type would work on my PC. I talked to my brother-in-law and he mentioned a fan that is normally brown that is a bit more expensive but that it could run on basically any machine. Unfortunately, I already forgot the name. :oops:

Here is an example of the type of the fan I am looking for: https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-sps-20ak-gp-case-fan/p/N82E16835103081

If anybody has any information or help for me, I would greatly appreciate it. My fear is buying something and it not working. I know they aren't too expensive, so I want to buy something new that will be quiet and work on my set up.

Thank You!!
Ziggy

Re: CPU Fan Help

Post by Ziggy »

The Noctua fans are brown/tan, that's probably what you're talking about. They're a very popular brand right now, and it's been my go-to fan brand in recent years. They're known for being quiet, reliable, and moving a lot of air.

It isn't hard to determine what you need for a replacement fan. We just need to know a couple of things. First, what CPU do you have? If you don't know, there are a few ways to figure it out. If you're using Windows, open the start menu and search "this pc." Right click on This PC, then click properties. A window will open. Look where it says processor and post what it says there.

Next, we will need to know if you're using a stock CPU heatsink/fan or an aftermarket one. The reason being is because an aftermarket cooler might use a different size fan than the stock one. Some modern high end CPUs wont even come with a HSF. The only real way to learn this is to look at it. So open the side panel of your PC, snap a pic of the CPU fan and post it here. If it's a stock HSF it'll most likely say Intel or AMD on it. If it's an aftermarket, it'll likely have some branding visible. Like Cooler Master, for example. If you can see any branding or model names, let us know in case it's not visible in the pic.

edit: Hmm, just for clarification... In the thread title you state CPU fan, but in your post you mention it's the fan bolted to the back of your PC. It is very likely that there are multiple fans inside your computer case. The CPU will have a heatsink/fan combo. But there is also likely at least one case fan. That is, a fan that is bolted to the case itself. Just take a picture for us and note which fan is the one that needs to be replaced. If it's a fan that's bolted to the case, put a ruler up to it and let us know how wide it is. Computer fan sizes are specified in millimeters, but I'm assuming you probably have an imperial ruler or tape measurer around but not a metric one.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

My Processor = AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor 2.80 GHz

I know the fan is a Cooler Master. That I know for certain.
For model names, I couldn't tell you. My brother-in-law built the PC for me several years ago and he doesn't remember all of the parts.

There are multiple fans inside my machine. There is a small one connected to a Board. There is one connected to the top of my machine that is encased in a metal box that I can't get to. Finally, there is the 3rd fan that is screwed to the back of my case. That is one that is making the noise as I have stopped it with my finger and the noise stops.

From one corner to another, the fan is about 7 inches long or 177.8 MM.

It is the large one to the left in the photo.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, that's the rear case fan. Much easier to replace than the CPU fan.

You actually measure PC fans across the length of one side, not diagonally. Like this:

There's really only a few standard sizes though, and that looks like a 120mm fan. Which would be roughly 7" diagonally.

The only thing left to consider is if that fan is a 3-pin or 4-pin. The picture is a little blurry, but it looks like it's a 3-pin wire. Likely it's 3-pin if the PC is 10 years old. But just double check.

It's easy to figure out what you have. With the PC off, just unplug that case fan from the motherboard and take a look at the connector. Are there three holes, or four? And likewise for the header on the motherboard, are there three pins or four?

In most cases, you can actually use a 4-pin fan on a 3-pin header and vice versa. But a 3-pin fan will usually be cheaper, so you might as well save a few bucks if that's all your motherboard supports. And a 4-pin fan has advantages over a 3-pin fan, so you're better off with one if your motherboard supports it. But either way, you wont end up with something incompatible.

Noctua would be my top pick...

Noctua grey, 3-pin - https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-redux-130 ... 07C5L4QGN/

Noctua grey, 4-pin - https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-redux-170 ... 07CG2PGY6/

Noctua brown, 4-pin - https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PW ... 00650P2ZC/

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-f12-pw ... 6835608026

The brown models are suppose to be superior quality, but also cost a little more. They also come with a bunch of accessories that you wont need.

edit: And just some food for though... You can sometimes fix a noisy fan without having to replace it. Usually just by cleaning it and lubricating it.

Lubricating a PC fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH52cMQp2c4

Also, dusting out your PC periodically will usually help to increase the lifespan of your fans.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Thank You Ziggy for your time, patience and thoroughness in helping me!!

I know that I have a 3 Pin Connector, so I ordered the first one you sent me.

I will let you know if I have any problems when I am installing it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You are welcome!

Some bonus tips for working on computers, or any electrical devices for that matter... Avoid working on the PC in a carpeted room. Touch something metal that is grounded to dissipate any static electricity you may have built up. The metal screw on a switch or outlet cover should be grounded. Small amounts of static electricity you may zap your PC with (without noticing) may not cause immediate harm but the accumulative can over time. This is just safe practice.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

My fan arrived this evening and after much struggling with the screws because I was doing it by hand, I removed the old fan and installed the new fan.

My computer now runs mostly silent and the noise has completely dissipated. I am so glad that I installed it because the noise was beginning to happen on daily basis and almost all day long, so it was just getting worse and worse.

Once again, Thank You Ziggy for the help and for guiding me through this process! :D
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome, glad it went well! And, you're welcome!

Yeah, those fat fan screws can take a bit of muscle to turn by hand. But I think that's the point. They're a tight fit, so any vibrations from the fan wont translate into rattling. You're better off turning them by hand. A drill or driver makes it too easy to over torque things.