Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

Analog Stick Drift

by SpaceBooger Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:59 pm

Is there any generic troubleshooting for analog stick drift?
I only ask because ever since the N64 most controllers have had an analog stick of some kind and can be prone to drifting at some point.
I have not had major issues with any controllers that I have had, but I currently have a cheap wireless aftermarket PS2 controller where the left stick drifts often.
I was wondering does anyone have any advice or go-to methods to share for those who may one day have to deal with analog stick drift?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Analog Stick Drift

by emwearz Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:22 pm

I am not sure if they are caused by the same issue. But both sets of my Switch controllers have had drift, both have been fixed by using rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and getting it into the mechanism of the stick.

On switch this is easy because it is protected by a soft rubber cap, so you don't even have to take the shell of the controller off, but I imagine on a PS2 style controller, because there is hard plastic protecting the mechanism you would need to take it controller apart to get some alcohol in there.

Should be relatively easy and would be the first thing I tired personally as it is so easy and cost nothing, providing you have alcohol, which for retro gaming has many uses anyhow.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:11 pm

What usually works for me is DeoxIT Fader lube injected into the potentiometer mechanism. This stuff also works for faulty power switches (GBA series especially) and, of course slider and rotary volume knobs that make static noise while being adjusted.

I've used this for a few faulty aftermarket PS2 controllers - mostly several Mad Catz MicroCON and RetroCON controllers which are still my favorite PS1&2 controllers.

If the fader lube doesn't work, I simply replace the analog stick mechanism. They're relatively cheap and accessible for every 1st party controller.
I've bought and confirmed quality and longevity for several replacements from these stores:
Rich's PSX Parts - Analog parts for several PSP models, Xbox 360, and PS2 controllers
RetroFixes - N64 analog mechanism, and various button membranes. Also a volume pot for GBC.
Oh, and Stoneage Gamer has the best analog stick replacement caps for various systems - I've purchased PS2, GameCube, and Xbox 360 from them.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:39 am

Anapan wrote:RetroFixes - N64 analog mechanism, and various button membranes. Also a volume pot for GBC.

They don't break it out on their website, but would you happen to know if their N64 replacement analog sticks are optical like the original N64 thumbsticks, or potentiometer-based like most others?
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:54 pm

@Limewater - Sorry, I don't know. It was for a friend's controller. I only verified it worked with a USB adapter for PC, and my friend said it worked great.
Tried to find out and there's no info online, but instead I found a guide video on properly cleaning the OEM mechanism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyR8E5rNSGA
In the video description, the author links Kitsch-Bent (the guy who sold the best parts for the bivert gameboy mod many years ago) as selling replacement plastic bits if a part of your OEM controller stick mechanism is truly damaged. I've ordered a bunch of parts from Kitch-bent over the years too, so I fully endorse the shop. Keep the original parts going if you can.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Technical Help