Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn Light Gun Help

by stickem Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm

By any chance is it not NA? The guns are region locked.
Last edited by stickem on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:18 pm

Mod chip doesn't matter, I use to use my light guns with my chipped Saturn all the time.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:10 pm

So I got another nuby orange virtual gun off eBay... It won't work either. Same as my other one. Start button works but nothing else and I can confirm that these all are US guns and the original Stunner worked back when I originally bought it new.
Could it be because when I modded the Saturn I messed something up. I soldered the two connectors on the chip instead of adding wires. Could that be it? I mean 3 guns and same result... It has to be something with the Saturn right?

Does the signal cable from the modchip matter:
You can get rid of the signal cable altogether and link the signal point to point B with a bit of solder instead of linking to pin 14 of the 32-pin chip.
-from the RacketBoy modchip installation guide
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 pm

Ok, so it's not the modchip and the video signal wire. I tried it without the modchip and nothing changed....
I am stumped.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:35 am

Try cleaning the pins of the controller port, or see if you can use the light gun in controller port 2 instead of port 1. I don't know how the Saturn controller protocol works, but perhaps there's a pin that light guns use that aren't used by standard controllers. Worth a shot (not pun intended).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:51 am

I tried port 2 already. I'll try the cleaning the pins and let you guys know.
Awesome ideas everyone, thanks for keeping me motivated... I'm going to end up spending more time figuring this out than playing the game.
BLOG | BST
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Interesting find: So if I leave a regular controller plugged into port 2 the Stunner works. The other off brands do not. It is weird. I can't play 2 players but at least I get single player. Any idea as to why there has to be another controller plugged into the second port?
BLOG | BST
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am

If I remember correctly, that has a controller daughter board that could be the issue based on those findings.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:09 am

Not all Saturn revisions have a separate PCB for the controller ports. But I suppose either way you could check for bad components around the ports. Did you try cleaning the pins?
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:21 am

I did clean the pins on the Saturn and each gun. I'll take it apart and see if there is anything glaring on the board where the controller ports are.
BLOG | BST
Return to Technical Help