Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

ALL SATURN Problems Fixed

by SpaceBooger Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:47 am

UPDATE - See the newest post. New region modded Saturn purchased. Interesting story.

UPDATE - See the newest post. It's not a TV issue, it's a burned-out fuse on the motherboard.

I have a JVC D-Series 32" curved CRT (AV-32D302) that I recently got to replace my Trinitron WEGA. The Trinitron's geometry was so messed up in one corner that it could not be adjusted with the service menu... Ok, off subject. My light guns won't work on this new (to me) TV and all shots on Virtua Cop 2 register off-screen as reloading shots.

So I could not use the Stunner or my NYKO Cobra on the flat CRT, so when I got the JVC D-Series with it being curved thought it may work. Neither light gun worked with an s-video cable, so I tried the original composite cable but that did not work either. So now I'm trying to figure out why the guns won't work. The odds of both guns not working is slim, but possible... I have no idea if has to do with the modchip. I'm at a loss. I thought having a curved CRT would allow me to play Virtua Cop again.

I can't seem to find the refresh rate anywhere online and reached out to JVC customer support... we will see if they respond.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy587

Re: Saturn Light Gun Help

by Ziggy587 Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 am

Go into the options and use the calibrate tool. I have the same issue with Virtual Cop 2, and most other light gun games on the Saturn IIRC. I always have to calibrate the gun first.

PS, sorry about your Wega but congrats on the new CRT. How do you like the JVC?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 pm

I love this JVC. There is something about a curved screen that I like better for retro gaming.

I tried calibrating the gun, but all shots still register off screen. Took it apart and noticed one of the wires from the start button broke off. I resoldered it, but that wasn't the problem. I'll take it apart again and see if there is anything else noticeably wrong.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:33 am

Do you have a cheap CRT around somewhere to test on just to make sure it's the guns and not the TV?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:02 pm

marurun wrote:Do you have a cheap CRT around somewhere to test on just to make sure it's the guns and not the TV?

I have one in the garage.. I did test it on two flat screen crts... But I know that works work.
I'm thinking it's the tv since I have an off brand gun that doesn't work either. I was hoping for confirmation.
BLOG | BST
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 pm

FWIW I never had an issue with light guns on my flat screen CRTs. And I have the same NYKO gun, as well as another one.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:00 pm

So maybe it is the gun. Everything I read was that it didn't like the Trinitron cause it was flat and such. The dreamcast gun didn't work on the Trinitron, I'll try that in this JVC and report back.
BLOG | BST
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:14 pm

One thing worth checking is if the TV supports progressive scan signals. That could screw up a light gun.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Ok, so I tested my MadCatz Dreamcast gun and it worked. So there is something up with the gun or the Saturn.
Does having a modchip in the Saturn matter?
BLOG | BST
marurun

by marurun Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:50 pm

A modchip shouldn't matter at all. I suppose it's possible the Saturn light guns are pickier than the Dreamcast light gun. I don't know the nuances of such things, unfortunately.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Technical Help