Budget build capable of VR

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
fredthezombie
24-bit

Budget build capable of VR

Post by fredthezombie »

Hi everyone. So I currently have a Ryzen 3 3200G dipping my feet with the integrated graphics for the time being. Though down the road I want to get a GPU and then eventually a better CPU so my build would be VR capable. Only really trying to achieve 1080p 60fps low-mid settings.

If I went ahead and got an RX 580 first but held off from the new CPU(looking at Ryzen 5 3600 right now) would I be able to have a decent experience with normal games? I only know so much about bottle-necking, I'm sure this GPU/CPU combo would result in that, but does that make the game unplayable?
Im fairly forgiving with FPS and screen resolutions coming from years as a console gamer, but I've read you absolutely need 90fps for stable VR play, would I be able to achieve this with a Ryzen 3200/RX 580? Or Ryzen 5 3600 at that? Low settings? I have a PS4, how would gaming compare to that? Would buying this combo yield better results than PS4? I have duel channel 2X 8GB 3200MGhz Ram, would that be sufficient? What would be the right Head set for this setup?

Never have built a PC before the R3 3200G, so Im REALLY new to all this. I'm not opposed to getting a better GPU/CPU down the road, I just want to get a good idea as to what hardware I should aim for to achieve results at least on par, if not better than, PS4.

Thank you!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Budget build capable of VR

Post by SamuraiMegas »

The GPU is already limiting your FPS substantially. You'll be getting ~45 fps in VR games with that.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Unfortunate. Though, I was fairly certain it would be pretty bad.
I built it for console/arcade emulation originally. I didn't need anything more than an R3 for that project.
I'm just learning as I go here.
If I don't know of a good starting off point? Where do I begin then if I want to step it up??
What would be a good suggestion of pairing in a CPU/GPU combo?
Not trying to blow my socks off, but I would like a decent introduction to the experience.
Been watching all kinds of CPU/GPU pairings, and different build range build videos.

I have a PS4, but it's VR wouldn't have as much variety in software as the PC side. Plus I like tinkering, A Raspberry PI kept my interest far more than my PS4 ever did.
But spec-wise, the RPI pales in comparison.

Current Hardware as follows,
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4
Ram: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
PSU: EVGA 500W
CPU(obviously):R3 3200G
Case(if it matters):Cooler Master MasterBox Matx Tower

I figured I would have to step it up eventually, but I don't really know where to start.
I probably won't have a means of getting any of the needed components for awhile anyway.
Just educating myself for the time being.

If I could get something to dip my feet that's all I really want. I've never even tried VR honestly.
And I don't know anyone in my immediate area that have either.
Learning of the new Half-Life just happened to catch my eye.

I know I gotta "pay to play", I just want something that could work, possibly using some components of my current system.
But if not, I can always save $ for down the road.
I thought about the emulation build for a few years before buying it, so I'm patient.

Where do I start if I want low-medium settings, pushing 90fps or more?

Any advice is appreciated.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Logicalincrements.com - if you click the "expand to see details" bar under each example system there's a list that pops out for several activities including VR gaming; It gives a red-orange-green rating on that build's capabilities.
You can see the FPS of several games at different resolutions listed with each graphics card there too. this can give you some idea of what various VR games' FPS might be like for each system as well - just assuming you can get similar FPS @ 4K as 2 fully rendered screens for VR for many top-tier VR-capable games.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Thanks, I have been referencing that site along with gpucheck.com and pc-builds.com. I think I will hold out and get an Oculus Quest. Wait and buy an RX 580 and a Link for the quest down the road. The performance wouldnt be perfect but suitable for me I think.

On another note, I almost caved and got PSVR today, but I'm pretty glad they were out of stock at Wally. Went to turn my PS4 on,
WLOD....

Guess PSVR was never meant to be for me...