Hori fighting stick SS not working

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
kryptonick

Hori fighting stick SS not working

Post by kryptonick »

I have 2 Hori Fighting Stick SS controllers for my Sega Saturn. Neither of them work.

Button presses don't do anything on the saturn. Other controllers and my hss0136 works fine.

If tried with and with my pseudo Saturn are cart, and I've tried with my regular 4mb cart installed.

I've not yet tried on my pal console.

Can anyone suggest what to do to try to get these things working?
marurun

Re: Hori fighting stick SS not working

Post by marurun »

Any stick response or just dead buttons? Any other peripherals in use simultaneously?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
kryptonick

Post by kryptonick »

marurun wrote:Any stick response or just dead buttons? Any other peripherals in use simultaneously?

No response at all. The Saturn acts as though no controller is inserted. For example in zero2, the versus mode is disabled if one of these sticks is in controller port 2.

I've tried these sticks alone and with other sticks in Port 2, and then with the sticks in other parts.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I'm not familiar with the insiders of those sticks, but might be worth taking a multimeter to it to test that there aren't any lines broken.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
kryptonick

Post by kryptonick »

marurun wrote:I'm not familiar with the insiders of those sticks, but might be worth taking a multimeter to it to test that there aren't any lines broken.

Yeh, that'd be a learning experience for me to be honest. If it isn't plug and play most hardware baffles me.

My plan is to try to clean the contacts on the plugs tonight, cause you never know.
Then if that doesn't work I'll try to butcher a working Saturn pad (I have enough) and donate a cable from it.

If it's still not working then I'll borrow a multimeter and start poking around inside.

Update edit: cleaning the contacts worked. Because it was both sticks I assumed it was something serious.

Now to find a modding guide, want to replace the buttons and stick. Buttons seem to be soldered onto the PCB though!