Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Case rattle

by Xeogred Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 am

So I've been having this nagging constant rattle from the two topside fans in my PC tower and I'm not sure if I should just get new fans or if there's any other options?

I think the problem is my fans have the full tubed screw insert, I have no idea how to describe it but I've looked into a lot of the rubber mounts but there is no way to get them through the full tube. Check the second picture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGYLMI/

Any other videos or suggestions I see are fans that are cut off in the middle (looking at this one). So that's why I guess maybe I just need to get a new fan or two... but figured I'd ask, maybe there's still some tricks I don't know about.

Or you guys have suggestions on some good fans. I have both a 140 and 120 on the top, NXT brand.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Case rattle

by samsonlonghair Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Rattling fan noise is the classic symptom of a dying fan bearing. If the fan dies, the PC will overheat. There are two approaches to remedy this:

1. Some folks meticulously take apart their fans and lubricate the bearing with lithium grease. This is time consuming, and even if it does work, it's only a temporary fix. Six months later, they're back where they began.

2. The easier, faster, and generally better method is simply to replace the case fan with a new one. Case fans are generally cheap - often less than ten dollars. More money will buy quieter fans, but any case fan will be quieter than the rattling fan you currently have with the failing bearing.

My advice to you is to not waste time. Just go ahead any order a new case fan tonight. Buy a cheap one if money is tight; buy an expensive one if silence is golden. Either way, don't put it off. Just get yourself a new case fan with all due expedience.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Are you sure? It's been going on for awhile, I've tolerated it way too much. I figured the humidity in my room changes it up since sometimes it's really bad and other times not. But you could be right, a year or two ago the rattling got really bad and the 140 fan I had in there died. I didn't even notice at first though ... luckily did after awhile and replaced it. The rattling wasn't much of an issue again for awhile but it's come back off and on, now it's been terrible again for awhile. Maybe the 120 fan itself has been steadily bad for a long time, I think it's the stock fan I've had with the case since 2013.

Not a huge emergency since I have 5 fans in my case, but yeah I think I'll go ahead and order one to replace the 120 fan and start from there. Definitely seems to be the main culprit.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I would replace it to not be annoyed haha.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:40 pm

If you end up replacing the fans, check out Noctua.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PW ... 943&sr=8-1

My main desktop now has 3 different Noctua models (80mm intake, 120mm exhaust, 120mm CPU cooler) and I've used them in desktops that I've built for my mother and uncle. A little pricey, but I don't believe I've ever used a better case fan. Only time will tell if they last longer than the typical $5-10 case fan that I've used in the past (Cooler Master, Thermaltake, etc).

Aside from performance alone, the price can further be justified with all the accessory that they include. Adapters and extension cables (though you wont wanna use the "noise" adapters if you throttle RPM with software), rubber mounts and dampeners. Personally, I make sure the screws on my case fans are super tight and I've never had a problem with vibrations transmitted from the fan to the case. But putting rubber dampeners on the fan just seems like a good idea. They also have the fanciest packaging I've ever seen for a fan (lol).

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! BLACK FRIDAY SALE! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Went ahead and ordered it Ziggy. I'll report back. 8)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:58 am

Xeogred wrote:So I've been having this nagging constant rattle from the two topside fans in my PC tower and I'm not sure if I should just get new fans or if there's any other options?

Went ahead and ordered it Ziggy. I'll report back. 8)

For now until you replace the fan, peel the sticker part way off covering the bearing. Add a couple drops of 3in1 oil with fan set flat so oil will seep down, cover with the sticker. I did this for my removable hard drive fans, have not had a problem since.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Ziggy!!!!!

I got the fan in the mail and you weren't joking about the packaging. Feels like quality.

However, turns out the connectors for these (even all the additional ones) are only 3 or 4 pin connectors, and it just so turns out my other fan and only other available connector to the PSU is a 2 pin connector haha...

So I guess this should do the trick?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GNT8MEM

Err, but maybe not. I still have some molex connectors available from the PSU. I'm still kind of ignorant about cable/power management. The fan is 4 slots, so I need that to a 2 pin male connector if I use the old fan connection.

Luckily the fan I guessed was the problem was indeed it. Went ahead and took that out and mounted up the new one... I guess it probably won't be a problem since I still have 4 other fans in there for now. Wow I can't even hear my PC now haha. Won't miss that rattle...

I've never really considered that you can replace CPU fans? Maybe I'll consider that sometime soon, it's getting a little gunky and nasty. I air out my tower from time to time, otherwise seems to be in good shape. Still my baby since this is the first PC I built in 2013 hehe.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Xeogred wrote:I've never really considered that you can replace CPU fans? Maybe I'll consider that sometime soon, it's getting a little gunky and nasty. I air out my tower from time to time, otherwise seems to be in good shape. Still my baby since this is the first PC I built in 2013 hehe.

highly recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103099
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05 pm

I actually can't even remember what fan is on there, if it came with the motherboard or CPU. Here's those though, I wonder if the ram slots would be in the way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S8WA18/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087EVHVW/
Return to Technical Help