Help with a Sony Trinitron KV13FS100

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Help with a Sony Trinitron KV13FS100

Post by Nemoide »

I feel like this is a potentially dangerous half-answer but this sounds like a problem that can be fixed through the service menu.
This page has info for how to access the menu and a list of the different settings.
I've never personally done any service menu fixes, but the big tip I'd give is to BE CAREFUL and ALWAYS write down values before you change them. It's extremely easy to mess up the image (and possible to actually destroy the TV) and can be tricky to fix mistakes. But I know screen geometry settings can be changed I assume you could fix your problem if you can figure out what to change. If your not comfortable doing that kind of thing, you might just want to try to track down a repair guy, but it can be tricky to find anyone who works on CRTs.

Good luck!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I don't mind messing with it...I just dinner know which of those codes I need to adjust.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I can help. I've done a lot of adjustments to the service menu of a lot of Sony tubes now.

One thing to note for any service menu settings is that all the defaults listed anywhere are incorrect for any singl tube - any listed "best"/"correct" settings are incorrect for any tube but the author of those settings.

I can usually find the full PDF of most any TV's service manual, and I'd be happy to hunt one down for yours if you give me the KV- model number.

Once you can go back and forth between settings, I recommend going through the 60-or-so changeable settings and cellphone-snap a picture of each as they were factory-set for your tube specifically.

The geometry settings are all clustered together. Here's a quickcheat-sheet off reddit - note the other links to further ones in the reply posts.
these will have 4-letter shortcuts - VLIN, VANG, HSIZ, etc.
I think the ones you'll be most interested in is the upper pin, lower pin, and corner pin, and possibly the pin amp.
The service manual for your specific TV will have a full listing of the ranges and values available.
I usually have my preferred console plugged into the set, and running the grid , overscan bounds, or linearity test-patterns from the 240P test suite for that console displayed, tho through the service menu you can get some basic grid and dot patterns displayed on most models.

Once I've gotten the 240P test suite on-screen, I adjust the horizontal and vertical size, then position until I can see everything. By default most of the external boundaries where picture is displayed will be outside of the display area. I adjust the centers of the top and bottom edges, do a rough corner tweak, then go through all the basic geometry settings again.
The service manual for your specific TV will have a full listing of the ranges and values available.

I end up spending a lot of time twisting and tweaking the corners - more than any other setting. You can never get everything perfect without glueing magnets to the tube, so it's just resizing and moving all the settings until you get a compromise.

Often I have to use the HPOS and VPOS (horizontal and vertical position), then the HSIZ and VSIZ (size) to move the picture into more pleasing spots that aren't so curved so the corners are closer to square.

it's really awesome that there is so much more information online now. There are tons of videos to help out. I had to trial-and-error most stuff as some guides online were just wrong back in the day.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage