Help with a Sony Trinitron KV13FS100

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Help with a Sony Trinitron KV13FS100

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

Alright so I just picked up this TV, and it's giving me some trouble. It turns on, and it's on Video 1 input, and doesn't respond at all. The remote doesn't work, the only thing that does work is the volume down button on the TV, but the volume goes right back up as soon as you let off the button. It's quite bizarre, I've never seen something like this happen before. Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? I'd really like to get this TV working, any help would be greatly appreciated.
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: Help with a Sony Trinitron KV13FS100

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

I just tried pulling the batteries out and no dice, it's still stuck on full volume. I hooked up my Genesis to the Video 1 input, and put some headphones into the TV so it didn't blast out the speakers, and everything seemed to work fine. Except it seems that it's somehow knocking out my internet? It doesn't seem to kill the signal from the router, as my computer never loses connection, but if I have the TV on I can no longer access the internet. It's absolutely bizarre, and a little frightening! What is going on with this goddamn tv? :x
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I haven't heard of this specific problem before either. I'd try a hard reset if you can get into service mode. There might be some bad data in the flash memory. Can't hurt to reset it's settings to factory default anyway, change them to your preference when it's working alright:

This is copied from some site telling how to fix a standby hangup that can be caused by a power surge (like a lightning storm), but the problem needed a hard reset for your model of TV. It says to unplug the tv for 4 hours first and see if that fixes it. I assume this next part of the directions means to do this while it's turned off like you do to enter the regular service mode.
______
Conduct a hard reset to the Trinitron factory settings by entering service mode.

Press the "Display" button on the remote, then press the up arrow on the "Channel" button.

Press "5" on the remote keypad, then the up arrow on the volume control.

Press "8" on the remote control keypad, then press "Enter" to complete the hard reset sequence. All personal settings will be erased from memory, and the controls will revert to factory settings
________

Here's the service mode sequence that I've always used on Sony TVs:
Turn the TV off, then, on the remote press [Display], [5], [Vol+], [Power]
Once you're in in service mode, the [8] key is initialize, [Enter]. [Mute] then [Enter] saves changes made in service mode. Cycle the power and the settings (or in this case re-setting) is done.

Here's a service manual I got off a site I'm registered to - hosted on my FTP to save you having to register there (forum.electromaniacs.com):
KV13FS100 Svc. Manual

It details how to get on-screen diagnostics (if you can get a picture), blinking standby light diagnostics for low level problems where the TV doesn't function at all, and all the take-it-apart tests for power problems and convergence setting as well as all the service mode tweaks to improve picture geometry and color. With some test patterns and patience you can get most Sony TVs looking way better than they do coming from the factory. Hopefully your problem is something simple and you don't need it...

Oh, also that same site mentioned that having the TV too close to a fluorescent tube light can cause the remote to screw up or not function. A long shot...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

I may try opening it up with the help of that manual, see if there's anything obviously wrong. This truly is the most bizarre electronics mishap I've ever dealt with. The remote definitely works, because it can control my other Sony TV, and apparently is much more powerful than the actual remote for that TV, as it can change channels even when pointed the opposite direction. I guess older remotes are a bit more ballsy! However, the remote seems to have no effect on the Trinitron. I'm totally baffled by this, and it seems like this is a relatively unique problem, or at least a problem that's very difficult to search for on Google, as I've come up with nothing that really matches this issue.

I'm a bit tempted to take this into a repair shop, but I definitely don't want to spend much on it, and I'm assuming they'd charge an arm and a leg. So damn frustrating.
My Want List!

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just be careful with the tube. It will have a deadly amount of voltage in it unless it sits for a couple weeks unplugged. My friend who has done work on some arcade monitors and taken an electrical engineering course told me that the parts of the tube that can discharge are the wires coming out the back that are covered by rubber, but even still I'm too leery to mess with the internals of mine.
Good luck.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice Trinitron!

Its not the remote. The volume up button next to the front input panel is stuck on. Without taking the TV apart, UNPLUG and spray just a SLIGHT amount of contact cleaner. Tap that volume buttons a few times and let dry for a few hours before plugging back in.

Your PDF Manual direct from Sony:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV13FS100.pdf
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

Anapan wrote:Just be careful with the tube. It will have a deadly amount of voltage in it unless it sits for a couple weeks unplugged. My friend who has done work on some arcade monitors and taken an electrical engineering course told me that the parts of the tube that can discharge are the wires coming out the back that are covered by rubber, but even still I'm too leery to mess with the internals of mine.
Good luck.

Yeah, I'll definitely leave it unplugged for a while. It's actually been sitting and gathering dust in my grandparents' house for almost 10 years, so it was pretty well discharged I'd assume, but I've turned it on a few times since then, so it'll need discharging again I assume.

CRTGAMER wrote:Nice Trinitron!

Its not the remote. The volume up button next to the front input panel is stuck on. Without taking the TV apart, UNPLUG and spray just a SLIGHT amount of contact cleaner. Tap that volume buttons a few times and let dry for a few hours before plugging back in.

Your PDF Manual direct from Sony:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV13FS100.pdf

Yeah I didn't figure it was the remote, where am I supposed to spray the contact cleaner exactly? Just kind of in the gap around the volume button? I'm hoping that's all it needs, because this TV is awesome! I've been playing a bit of Lightening Force on it, and it looks great. I just hope I can figure out how to stop it from killing my internet every time I use it!
My Want List!

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Lokkenjawnz wrote:Yeah I didn't figure it was the remote, where am I supposed to spray the contact cleaner exactly? Just kind of in the gap around the volume button? I'm hoping that's all it needs, because this TV is awesome! I've been playing a bit of Lightening Force on it, and it looks great. I just hope I can figure out how to stop it from killing my internet every time I use it!
Correct, just a little and tap that volume button. But its better to pull the cover so you can see where the spray goes. Might even be able to see what might be the cause as well as any spills from the spray.

Just stay clear of the tube, high voltage even when unplugged. A risk if not discharged correctly either, best just not to mess with the tube especially at the back.

As far as internet problems, just hook up an ethernet cable to avoid the static interference.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Ok this is old, but I have a Sony WEGA Trinitron and the top left corner curves down a bit leaving the left side lower on the top than the right, but equal on the bottom sides.
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.