Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
User avatar
Ziggy587
Moderator
 
Posts: 13527
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Well I had to order a LAN adapter, so I just ordered the cleaning kit as well. We'll see what happens. It might be a good idea to clean the lens every now and then anyway.
Image

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
User avatar
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by gtmtnbiker Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Have you thought about putting your Wii games on a hard drive and using USB Loader? This doesn't help with Gamecube games but it will at least extend the life of your drive.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Moderator
 
Posts: 13527
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Hmm, maybe. I do that with my PS2 anyways. But that would require me to get a drive for it, mod it and all that. I'm just annoyed by this in the first place. :lol:
Image

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
User avatar
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by gtmtnbiker Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:52 pm

You can get a USB drive for under $50. It will hold lots of games if you use WBFS (Wii Backup File System). I have a 250GB drive that is loaded with my ~27 games. The last time I checked, I think I used about 25% of the drive capacity.

It's good if you have kids so you don't have to worry about them misplacing the manual or the disc.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Moderator
 
Posts: 13527
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Well I know they have something called "ScrubMii" which can make games much smaller, taking all the nonsense out of the image.

But yeah, I'm really not into soft mods, so I would have to get a chip and all that. You need the Homebrew Channel installed, I'm assuming.
Image

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
User avatar
Ziggy587
Moderator
 
Posts: 13527
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Not my video, but this is exactly what my Wii sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KFFbi9xvL8

Note that the Wii in the video is on the menu, so nothing is loading from disc, it's just spinning. That's how loud it is ALL the time, only time it stops is when the drive shuts off (when you load something that's not on a disc - Wii Shop Channel, VC game, etc). My TV at normal listening volume barely drowns out the sound (you can still hear it).

I read a bunch of times that people sent their Wii in to Nintendo and got it back super quiet again. The time it takes to get it back changes with each story I read, but I guess about 2 weeks is a good estimate. Thing is, out of warranty it will cost $70 (says one source) for the repair.

I was thinking about calling up the number any way and explaining the situation, maybe they can give me some tips or something. I'm definitely not paying for something I can do myself, even though I don't have the patience for it right now (as annoying as it is). I know companies never admit to problems (as minor as it is) but wouldn't that be cool? "Yeah, some Wii consoles can start making the noise. Here is what our techs do to fix it..."
Image

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
User avatar
swiftzx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Youngsville,NC

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by swiftzx Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Not my video, but this is exactly what my Wii sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KFFbi9xvL8

Note that the Wii in the video is on the menu, so nothing is loading from disc, it's just spinning. That's how loud it is ALL the time, only time it stops is when the drive shuts off (when you load something that's not on a disc - Wii Shop Channel, VC game, etc). My TV at normal listening volume barely drowns out the sound (you can still hear it).

I read a bunch of times that people sent their Wii in to Nintendo and got it back super quiet again. The time it takes to get it back changes with each story I read, but I guess about 2 weeks is a good estimate. Thing is, out of warranty it will cost $70 (says one source) for the repair.

I was thinking about calling up the number any way and explaining the situation, maybe they can give me some tips or something. I'm definitely not paying for something I can do myself, even though I don't have the patience for it right now (as annoying as it is). I know companies never admit to problems (as minor as it is) but wouldn't that be cool? "Yeah, some Wii consoles can start making the noise. Here is what our techs do to fix it..."



Damn, that's REALLY loud. My Wii isn't nearly as noisy as that one, and to think mine was loud...
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
User avatar
Incognito D
128-bit
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Incognito D Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Ziggy587 wrote::lol: I'll let you slide with this one.


Incognito D wrote:I had the same problem, and after opening it up, fitting insulating tape here and there and generally fiddling around with screws, (all to no avail) sent it back to Nintendo for repair.


And? All better? Was your Wii still under warranty, and that's why you sent it back? I'm pretty sure my warranty expired. What is it? Only a year or two?


So far, so good - and it was about 14 months ago that I had it repaired. It was out of warranty though so it cost me like £30, but it was worth it, because the noise was driving me crazy and it was struggling to load at times.
Image
User avatar
Ziggy587
Moderator
 
Posts: 13527
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: NY

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:42 pm

swiftzx wrote:Damn, that's REALLY loud. My Wii isn't nearly as noisy as that one, and to think mine was loud...


Well I mean, the camera is right next to the Wii in that video. Yeah, it's that loud when I put my ear right to it.

Incognito D wrote:So far, so good - and it was about 14 months ago that I had it repaired. It was out of warranty though so it cost me like £30, but it was worth it, because the noise was driving me crazy and it was struggling to load at times.


Well mine loads everything just fine, never had a problem like that. But yeah, the noise is maddening! I'm either gonna find the time to open it up and play with it, or send it in. I honestly can't take it anymore. It's really, really annoying.
Image

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

by Hobie-wan Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Well mine loads everything just fine, never had a problem like that. But yeah, the noise is maddening! I'm either gonna find the time to open it up and play with it, or send it in. I honestly can't take it anymore. It's really, really annoying.


Make a little box with any sound deadening leftovers from your project. :lol:
Return to Technical Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests