Loud Wii drive - Any one else? * SOLVED *

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ziggy

Re: Loud Wii drive - Any one else?

Post by Ziggy »

Right. I've read that page a couple times, I'm debating giving it a shot or not.
VGMStudios
16-bit

Post by VGMStudios »

emwearz wrote:http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/wii-noise.htm

To do with the screws.

I was just about to suggest this.
I work with Wii's all the time. So mine are always quiet! :)

VGM out...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

emwearz wrote:http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/wii-noise.htm

To do with the screws.
WOW! THANKYOU! Not only that vibration possible fix but the front page has other useful tips!

Bookmarked the Front Page.
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/

From what I gather in that Wii fix it doesn't seem clear if the entire drive is tweaked in relation to the laser tracking or if its just a noise vibration resonation fix. Interested if this works for you Ziggy, please let us know.

This reminds me of the vibration noise inside my van. While driving down the freeway trying to discover where the WTF vibration noise is coming from. Banging on the dash, glove box, cup holders, drawer under the seat and cleaning out my eardrums. :lol:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

CRTGAMER wrote:WOW! THANKYOU! Not only that vibration possible fix but the front page has other useful tips!

Wow, I can't believe you haven't heard of mmmonkey yet. I've been visiting his site for a while now. He's got great stuff on there. I link it a lot on the forums, too, which is why it's strange you've never seen it before.

CRTGAMER wrote:From what I gather in that Wii fix it doesn't seem clear if the entire drive is tweaked in relation to the laser tracking or if its just a noise vibration resonation fix. Interested if this works for you Ziggy, please let us know.

Well I've read through a few threads about this problem. It seems to me that after a while the vibrations of the drive kinda rattle itself to a point where it starts making noise. So what people, like mmmonkey, do is just adjust it until it hits a sweet (quiet) point.

Though mmmonkey said he adjust it and got some read errors and had to readjust it. That's why I'm hesitant on trying to fix the noise issue or leave it alone. It's loud and annoying, but it works perfectly.
Incognito D
128-bit

Post by Incognito D »

I had the same problem, and after opening it up, fitting insulating tape here and there and generally fiddling around with screws, (all to no avail) sent it back to Nintendo for repair.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:WOW! THANKYOU! Not only that vibration possible fix but the front page has other useful tips!

Wow, I can't believe you haven't heard of mmmonkey yet. I've been visiting his site for a while now. He's got great stuff on there. I link it a lot on the forums, too, which is why it's strange you've never seen it before.
I've seen a couple links there before. Never thought to check MMMonkey's Front page. Feel free to virtual slap the back of my head now. :lol:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

:lol: I'll let you slide with this one.

Incognito D wrote:I had the same problem, and after opening it up, fitting insulating tape here and there and generally fiddling around with screws, (all to no avail) sent it back to Nintendo for repair.

And? All better? Was your Wii still under warranty, and that's why you sent it back? I'm pretty sure my warranty expired. What is it? Only a year or two?
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Hey Ziggy, I too have a launch-day Wii as does my friend. I do think this can stem from a dust build-up equally as much as a screw issue. I always cover my consoles with anti-static bags/dust covers and my friend doesn't bother. His Wii sounded ridiculously loud until he used the N-Wii cleaning kit. It's not as loud as before but perhaps that still stems from a possible screw issue. My Wii on the other hand still sounds just as loud (rather quiet) as it did when I got it. Maybe I just don't play it as much but anyhoo.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Maybe I'll pick up the cleaning kit next time I order from Amazon, it's only $10 so I might as well give it a shot. I was talking to Jeffro, he said he has a launch model Wii that's still as quiet as it was when he got it. He said he clocked a lot of hours on it too. I definitely clocked a lot of hours on mine.

But I still can't see how it would help. If the lens is dirty, then why is the drive loud when it's not loading? I don't have any disc read errors even. Maybe if dust gets in the system , it can make it loud but not necessarily make the lens dirty?

I just read this on the Nintendo website:

Noise (buzzing) coming from the Wii console

It is normal for some amount of noise to come from the Wii console, as there are various moving parts inside of the system. Additionally, the Wii console may make noises as it's reading discs, which may become louder at certain times. This is normal.

If the Wii console is making an especially loud noise (for example, so loud you can hear it over your TV), then your system may need to be repaired. Please click here for repair options.
jeffro11
128-bit

Post by jeffro11 »

I doubt this has anything to do with it, but I only own 1 REAL Wii game the rest are... "borrowed" I guess you could say. Not had an issue!