Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
eastside
24-bit

DC-"This TV's PC input does not support interlaced sign

by eastside Tue May 08, 2007 4:30 pm

I am planning to get a Sony 1080P LCD HDTV to which I will hook-up a DC VGA signal via the VGA input the tv has.

While looking through the tv's instruction manual I found this note under the PC input section:

"This TV's PC input does not support interlaced signals"

My question is, am I going to still be fine directly hooking up a DC with a vga cable to the tv's VGA input?

:?: I don't know if the DC's 640X480 is an interlaced signal or not.

Or, will I have to get a VGA box to output a 480p signal?

Thanks.

Also,

:?: Any Idea what DC VGA looks like upscaled to 1080p? This tv only displays 1920X1080.
SEHF
8-bit

by SEHF Tue May 08, 2007 6:52 pm

The DC looks best on CRT monitors and it might not look so good upscaled to such a high resolution, but it will depend on the size of the TV. If you would want to use a DC on this TV you will have to buy the VGA cable, but some games do no support VGA mode. However, You'll probably be fine playing DC games on the is TV, just with a VGA cable.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Tue May 08, 2007 7:03 pm

Well, if you don't use the VGA method, then your DC games are just going to suffer from a pointless conversion of progressive to interlaced to progressive again. Why not just keep it progressive the whole way?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed May 09, 2007 2:46 am

first off, the VGA box is a progressive 480p picture (640X480)

secondly, I have a Samsung 50" 1080p HDTV. I play all my consoles on it (NES, SegaCD, Dreamcast, XBOX 360) and they look SWEET. Dreamcast doesn't suffer much from the upscaling.

BUT, when I play things like the SegaCD with it's meager composite cable, the picture is VERY blurry at 50 inches and upscaled. It still looks better in some ways over my other TVs, but the blurring kinda gets annoying... not sure how to exactly describe it.

The Dreamcast though as I said looks amazing and crisp with the VGA box (tens of hundreds of times better then composite, and I've yet to find a s-vid cable that actually freakin' works!)
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed May 09, 2007 6:01 am

SEHF wrote:The DC looks best on CRT monitors and it might not look so good upscaled to such a high resolution, but it will depend on the size of the TV. If you would want to use a DC on this TV you will have to buy the VGA cable, but some games do no support VGA mode. However, You'll probably be fine playing DC games on the is TV, just with a VGA cable.

I've been pretty happy with the Dreamcast VGA on my Dell LCD.
Although it is only 20 inches.
eastside
24-bit

by eastside Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks everyone for the valuable responses.

I am planning to get the DC VGA cable and then hooking it up directly to the VGA port on the tv.

The model I'm looking at is the Sony XBR3 (46inch). Apparently it has three VGA options. 1) 1:1 pixel display -Small picture with large black borders. 2) 4:3 aspect mode but fit to pannel. 3)16:9 stretched image - poorest image quality.

secondly, I have a Samsung 50" 1080p HDTV. I play all my consoles on it (NES, SegaCD, Dreamcast, XBOX 360) and they look SWEET. Dreamcast doesn't suffer much from the upscaling.

That's good to here. Anyone else have experience with DC at 16:9 in 46inch+ LCD's or plasmas please share.

first off, the VGA box is a progressive 480p picture (640X480)

Good, at least that is an option. How about direct ouput from a DC with a VGA cable to a VGA input? Is that going to be a progressive or interlaced signal? This tv doesn't take interlaced vga signals apparently.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Direct output with a VGA cable? Do you mean the VGA mod for it, it's basically the same as the VGA box. The Dreamcast has VGA mode built into it, all the box does is take the two sync pins on the A/V port that when both are connected set the DC into VGA mode. This gives you that 480p signal.

Unless you don't do the VGA mod properly...

When I said VGA box, I wasn't talking about the ones that convert composite into VGA... I was talking about the DC VGA cable (i.e. the ones Racketboy used to sell).

eastside
24-bit

by eastside Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 pm

By 'VGA Cable' I meant this item:

http://www.racketboy.com/store/dreamcas ... le-box.htm

I am planning on connecting this cable directly to a 15pin VGA input on the tv, with the expectation of compatibility.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 pm

that is a 'Sega Dreamcast VGA box'

Return to Technical Help