Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 am

and you've tested this from the setting screen of the Dreamcast?

if so... then the dreamcast is probably throwing a refresh rate out just a little off of 60hz

I don't know exactly what it is, but looking at the schematics it seems to just double the NTSC refresh rate by connecting two pins... which might actually give a refresh rate of like 59.99hz. But this is speculation, and also weird if your TV doesn't like it. Whatever though... I'll think on it for a while and might get back to you if I come up with something.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Mon May 07, 2007 2:19 am

Some sets are just very finicky about their VGA timings. Remember that the DC VGA cable was meant for PC CRT monitors, which are almost always more versatile than today's HDTVs. I've seen an HDTV that would only show my PCs signal at 1 resolution, and I've seen old PCs that give timing errors on my modern LCD panel.
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Picky, Picky TV. What's worse now is that even my CRT monitor also WON'T work with the VGA cable either! The second I turn the DC on it goes into a state of hibernation. Like if I had left it idle for a long period of time. I have tried it on two Dreamcast's already. Both give me the same problem on both my devices. I am going to try to set the refresh rate to 59 and see what that brings me. Thanks again for all the help you guys are providing.
My signature has no character. It is not mature enough to even have 1 character, let alone a 400 limit.
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm

There wouldn't by any chance be a..... VGA to HDMI cable would there...? I'd better Google that.
My signature has no character. It is not mature enough to even have 1 character, let alone a 400 limit.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Mon May 07, 2007 5:20 pm

SaturnX03 wrote:Picky, Picky TV. What's worse now is that even my CRT monitor also WON'T work with the VGA cable either! The second I turn the DC on it goes into a state of hibernation. Like if I had left it idle for a long period of time. I have tried it on two Dreamcast's already. Both give me the same problem on both my devices. I am going to try to set the refresh rate to 59 and see what that brings me. Thanks again for all the help you guys are providing.

Woah, wait a minute. If a CRT monitor won't even work with it, then there is something wrong with the VGA cable obviously.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon May 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Mozgus wrote:
SaturnX03 wrote:Picky, Picky TV. What's worse now is that even my CRT monitor also WON'T work with the VGA cable either! The second I turn the DC on it goes into a state of hibernation. Like if I had left it idle for a long period of time. I have tried it on two Dreamcast's already. Both give me the same problem on both my devices. I am going to try to set the refresh rate to 59 and see what that brings me. Thanks again for all the help you guys are providing.

Woah, wait a minute. If a CRT monitor won't even work with it, then there is something wrong with the VGA cable obviously.

But it was before?
Are you making sure that the Dreamcast is turned off completely, then the switch is turned to VGA mode, and then the Dreamcast is turned back on?
Is this the same VGA monitor and cable used previously?
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 pm

I don't have the VGA Box, :-p I was the last one to purchase the actual VGA cable recently. I would have thought that the cable was the problem except that I actually played the Dreamcast in VGA mode at my brother's house. I set up everything the same way I did at my house, but my equipment just won't deal with it. >_< I miss that clarity!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon May 07, 2007 7:13 pm

SaturnX03 wrote:I don't have the VGA Box, :-p I was the last one to purchase the actual VGA cable recently. I would have thought that the cable was the problem except that I actually played the Dreamcast in VGA mode at my brother's house. I set up everything the same way I did at my house, but my equipment just won't deal with it. >_< I miss that clarity!

So it does work on his, but not yours?
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 7:18 pm

Yup. It works on his perfectly. No trouble at all. He has a Panasonic one, I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra $100 at the time for his TV.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Tue May 08, 2007 4:09 am

are you sure the thing didn't get damaged bringing it back from your brothers?

I know when I drove tractor trailer I dragged my Dreamcast with me all over the country in a plastic grocery bag. Until I replaced the A/V cable 3 times.

I then built a hard wood box with compartments to keep all my equipment safe in my travels.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Return to Technical Help