Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SaturnX03
8-bit

Another DC VGA Problem....

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to bring yet another vga problem aboard. But I've scanned the net and these forums for a solution. I still have nothing. I bought a VGA cable for my Dreamcast here from Racketboy (by the way, great product!)....I guess it doesn't like my stuff. It worked perfectly on my brother's 37 HDTV LCD....but it doesn't want to work on MY Insignia 27" flat panel HDTV LCD (Model NS-27LCD)!!!!

All I get is a black screen, and when I check the info it gives me a message stating that the input signal is unknown. Even though I (think) it's set correctly to 640x480x60. I say think because in the VGA menu, I keep going into the menu until it gives me that resolution. I hope I am giving proper information as I feel like I am babbling endlessly.

Can anyone help me? I have searched everywhere. I am using Soul Calibur which is VGA compatible.
My signature has no character. It is not mature enough to even have 1 character, let alone a 400 limit.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 am

Sounds like some kind of complicated timing (refresh rate) incompatibility with your TV.
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 am

Dag nam it. (read: sh*t out of luck).
My signature has no character. It is not mature enough to even have 1 character, let alone a 400 limit.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon May 07, 2007 12:45 am

In what order are you turning everything on?

Reading the manual for you TV online, states that you should first turn the monitor off (actually unplug says the manual...) Hook up the computer (in this case Dreamcast). Turn on the TV and put select the VGA input. Then turn on your computer (or Dreamcast). It should work that way.

I know the first time I used my Dreamcast on my HDTV I had to reset the VGA input back to factory defaults (I had been using a PC prior to the DC on the input). Then start it up in that same process I said in the previous paragraph, and then go into the TV menu and lock the resolution and refresh rate to what the DC was so that it worked every time no matter what order I turned the things on in.

Oh yeah, and my TV says that the DC is 640X480 @ 60hz when the Dreamcast is turned on.

if all else fails, try hooking your Computer up to the TV. Start it at the TVs native resolution of 1366 x 768
Then change the resolution to 640X480 @ 60hz. If you don't get anything, then the TV has a problem accepting that resolution. This is possible merely because it is a LCD panel that has an analog to digital converter in it. A lot of those 'affordable' hardware products take standard monitors and just slap a cheap crappy analog to digital converter on the back of it with tons of inputs. These things are very iffy and annoying when choosing resolutions... and they MAY have left 640X480 out. It sounds weird to leave such a common resolution out, but who knows with these 'affordable' brand names.
Last edited by lordofduct on Mon May 07, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 12:50 am

*Reads the manual for the fifth time*:shock: Odd, I don't know how I missed that. Going to go try it. I'll post my results in a few.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 am

this is the manual I read

http://insignia-products.com/skins/skin ... manual.pdf

on page 12 it states that

WARNING:
Make sure you turn off and unplug your TV before installing devices.

then goes on to set up in 4 steps; hook up computer, turn on TV, select VGA, turn on computer.

The rest of what I said is my own troubleshooting to test yourself... tried to keep it basic testing tools so anyone could do it.

Oh yeah, and when testing, use the Dreamcast BIOS screen... don't boot a game, but just go to the little menu thing where you can manage saves and that sort. Games sometimes might throw weird refresh rates at the monitor.

SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 am

That's a no go for me. Nothing. The same Unknown Input Timing.
SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 am

I will be checking in every few hours. I've emailed Insignia's technical support and presented my dilemma. I thank you though for all the help. If anything else rings to mind, please feel free to post. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to fiddle with the options some more, with a hammer next to me. Maybe I can intimidate my TV into accepting what I want it to. :-p
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Mon May 07, 2007 1:29 am

Have you tested with a computer yet? On the monitor your already on change your resolution to 1366X768 (your TVs native, your computer will probably only do 1360X768, close enough), save and apply. Turn off, hook it up to the TV and then change the resolution down to 640X480.

SaturnX03
8-bit

by SaturnX03 Mon May 07, 2007 2:03 am

Yup. Just tested it right now. Apparently it does support the resolution that the Dreamcast is supposed to be outputting but for one reason or another, it won't accept the Dreamcast doing it.
Return to Technical Help