Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Turnerp561
8-bit

NTSC vs. PAL

by Turnerp561 Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Ok so I just got me a Japanese Saturn that's PAL. I did some brief research and found out that PAL and NTSC are simply different television broadcast standards. My questions is will there be any limitations for my system here in the glorious land of NTSC.

From what I have read, I think I can at the very least expect a different picture quality, how noticeable?, I can't say. But when I tune in to BBC American, where I'm assuming the european T.V. shows are filmed and broadcast in PAL, the colors seem darker or dull.

What do you guys think?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 pm

it all really depends.

first off you can wiki PAL and NTSC to see the differences, I'll quickly run through them here though.

first off... different resolutions.
PAL has 576 vertical scan lines as opposed to NTSC with 480. This means the picture is taller then NTSC pictures (more square)
secondly it is broadcasted at ~25 fps interlaced... otherwise at 50hz as opposed to NTSC at 60hz
thirdly it uses a different colour signal then NTSC

over all... if you have a standard definition NTSC television set... your PAL system ISN'T going to work. And vice versa.

Now if you put a 50/60hz switch in the little bugger, and pump it up to 60hz (easy mod, you can find it anywhere on the web) you'll get it to display. Most NTSC TVs should be able to handle the colour signal, but you MIGHT get a B+W picture... oh and it will be scruntched on your screen a little, that or the bottom of it will be cut off.

Now if you have a HDTV, or RGB monitor, then it is another thing. They can handle more then just NTSC signals. RGB monitors can usually handle 10-70hz with resolution well past what PAL is. If you have a RGB monitor I advise getting the RGB cables (SCART cable or similar) for the thing... BEST picture quality.

If you have an HDTV you'll have to check the manufacturers manual to see if it supports PAL signals. It may, it may not... it really just depends.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Turnerp561
8-bit

by Turnerp561 Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 pm

First off thanks for all the info, I owe you one.

So here are my options as far as I can see: In order to use my PAL Saturn I'm gonna have to...

-Get a PAL compatible TV/monitor, something high def that supports both NTSC and PAL
That's about 200-400 dollars right there, I am leaning away from this option

-Do a 50/60HZ mod
I have no idea how to do this but it could be accomplished if I find a nice guide/walkthrough on the net
From what I understand I need something like a SPDT switch, I'm pretty savvy about electronics so I see
this as my best option

I have not received my Saturn yet but when I ordered it, it was listed as PAL. I expect it to today or tomorrow.

Oh. one more thing, why would a Japanese Saturn be PAL, isn't NTSC the standard in Japan? That's what I got from the Wiki wiki. (hehe)
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:49 pm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/saturn5060.htm

and there is your easy tutorial for ya
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Turnerp561
8-bit

by Turnerp561 Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks for taking the time out to help, I really appreciate it. I let you know how things go, wish me luck!

-I love Japan
Turnerp561
8-bit

Oppps!!

by Turnerp561 Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 am

Well that didn't go very well at all.

First of all thanks to Racketboy for the modchip and the awesome 13-in-1 cart. Fast shipping, very happy. Unfortunately I goofed!

I now have a worthless Japanese white Saturn. I really don't want to get into the details because every time I think about it, I began to weep uncontrollably.

Long story short, I had the Sanyo board (which is a bitch by the way), and the A+B method didn't work. After quite a bit of research, I tried an alternative method which requires that the signal wire be connected to the 7th/71st pin. (different sources say different pins, I tried both) I decided to pull the pin out from the board just a bit in order to solder my wire to it, whadda ya know the damn thing broke. I almost shit myself. I spent about 8 hours looking for sources of info and working on the board trying to solder things back together which only made a bigger mess causing several pins on an IC to fuse together. (I know you gotta be saying "poor guy".)

I'm not really tripping because, I've already started bidding on a black North American Saturn at Ebay. I'm gonna try to install the chip with the 32-pin setup. I kinda wanted to have a working Japanese Saturn just for novelty sake, and I'm in love with just about anything Japanese including the women. I lived there for 3 years, but that's a story for another day. I do kinda wish I could just go out and buy a Saturn because I hate waiting for stuff in the mail. Much like that little girl from Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, "I want it now!" Peace!

-I'm down but not out
Return to Technical Help