Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
pdaving

How to send SNES ROMs to carts?

by pdaving Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Hello people, I've been searching for a guide through the web which could explain how to send my SNES ROMs (.smc files) to a cart using some boards and IC's as you can see on tototek.com. I'd be glad if anyone could help me on this issue.

lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:16 am

ermm...

well you need a parallel port on your PC, a programmer board (has an IC defining what pin does what), and the software for doing it.

Then the most important part is you need a flashable cart. Any cart won't due as they use once write PROMs... you need one with a rewriteable EEPROM on the board and proper mappers.

That or you can take standard EPROMs and do single writes onto them and solder the chip into a cart, no promis of it working as the mapper might not fit the cart design, and also a once write EPROM is costly.

Oh yeah and games dependant on special chips like the FX chip, won't work as the cart needs that built into it. Hence why Star Fox cost so much at release.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
pdaving

by pdaving Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:46 am

Thanks man! On the website tototek.com we can see the parts needed. They show the programmer board, the flashable cart (with optional IC to connect the cart directly to the console), a T-shape adapter (I don't know exactly what it does but I think you use it in case you don't have the IC mentioned)... but they didn't show the software. I should have this to make it all work, isn't it? Do you have an idea about any software which does that?

Thanks for the help!
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:31 am

the software will come with the programmer

the software will probably only accept .bin files (raw binary shells). But all rom files are actually .bin files with their extension renamed to lower confusion of what the file is used for. So just go and rename the extension (.smc) to .bin and select it with the provided software with the programmer.

If it doesn't come with any software, just google for an EPROM burn software and locate one that supports the style of connection you use (parrallel port usually)
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
pdaving

by pdaving Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:41 am

Yeah, just as I thought :wink:

No difficulty in doing such a thing when you have all parts needed. Thanks for helping me. They probably supply the software to do that, if they do or not, I'll search for one on the web.

Thanks once again! I'll be over here by any time :wink:
Return to Technical Help