Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Michael

Is this a model 2, Please help

by Michael Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:18 pm

This has the external box of a model 2 with the round power and reset but when I open it up to mod it I am having a problem. Heres a picture of my saturn. I would greatly like to know if someone messed me over since all the guides dont match with my setup. Thanks for all help in advance :D

The picture doesnt show it but I had to snip the metal where the chip was going so that it would go down. And the other wire fell off when I was in the process of saldering but figured it didnt mater since I was going to put the A+B together. Well guess Im going to change that now. I forgot to mention that the back does say MK-80000A so I thought that ment that it had to be a model 2. I'll check the guides and look at the 64 ones or Ill just try to find the one that matches, I should have asked more questions before I bought it. Thanks (Racket)
Last edited by Michael on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Is this a model 2, Please help

by racketboy Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:37 pm

[quote="Michael"]This has the external box of a model 2 with the round power and reset but when I open it up to mod it I am having a problem. Heres a picture of my saturn. I would greatly like to know if someone messed me over since all the guides dont match with my setup. Thanks for all help in advance :D
Image/quote]

Looks like a 64-pin (Model 1) to me.
THere are some out there that have round buttons.
That's why I always say there isn't a sure way to tell without looking inside.
The whole round-button thing is just a quick rule of thumb
Michael

Forgot

by Michael Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 pm

This is also what it does I got this info from Classic Gaming Sega Style site.
No boot up animation
Two large red spheres at the CD player screen
No CD rotation
Displays "checking disc format

It says (If the ribbon cable isn't properly inserted (either bridge)) Im not really sure what this means since Ive checked the cable going into the chip and the chip firmly all the way seated in its spot. Maybe the ribin could be upside down or something, guess Ill flip it cause I have no other ideas.. That site called it a model 2 64 pin saturn, The modifactions were the same as the 32 pin, but not guarenteed to work. Dont mean to be a bother, its just I waited weeks for the saturn and then a few more days for the chip to arrive to find out its not working out quite the way I had hoped :(
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Have you tried filing down the sides of the part that plug into the Saturn? that may help it plug in better.
SEHF
8-bit

by SEHF Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 am

I have the same type of Saturn that is in the picture...

Can anybody give instructions or a tutorial for modding that type of system, with 64 pins?

Thanks!
Michael

Might have got it

by Michael Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Ok after searching for like 8hrs, I might have got it. Im guessing that if the chip is in correctly and a real disk can play, then this is better than the 2 red balls on the cd player screen. I got board and was flipping things around and flipped the white ribbin cable upside down and turned the chip around. Now I can play a real game I have normal sound and its great, just have to wait till tomarrow and see if it can play a backup of the game, then I'll reply so you know that this really worked.

Just wish I was better at saldering so I didnt have those balls of salder on the A+B spot :(

Ok I just couldnt wait till tomarrow, so I came back to the computer and made a backup of the sonic game and heres the pic. So as far as what I have read this model is a model 2 64 pin saturn, makes since because the power wire and A+B method works. Right?
SEHF
8-bit

by SEHF Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:00 pm

Wow...sounds like it worked for you, good job. I won't be able to mod my SS for a while since I'm at Boarding School, but thanks for the info...
Return to Technical Help