Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SegaK2
8-bit

Dreamcast Burning Problems

by SegaK2 Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:42 pm

Hello,

I burned this REZ torrent to a CD-R using CloneCD (at 4x speed). The files contained within were:

REZ.ccd (disk layout file for CloneCD)
REZ.img (disk image contents)
REZ.sub (not sure what this does)

Unfortunately when I try to boot in on my launch Dreamcast it thinks that it is an Audio CD only (goes to the music player).

Do I have to use a disk loader like Utopia?

I'm a little nervous with Utopia since I use a VGA box and I heard that v1.1 can damage your monitor.

I have been able to boot other CD-R's that a friend gave to me (i.e. Grandia ][) but I'm not sure if he used Disc Juggler or what and this was quite some time ago.

Thanks for helping a Dreamcast disk burning Newbie out!!

-SegaK2
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:16 pm

You shouldn't have to use Utopia, that is for sure.

Not sure if CloneCD is the best to use.

Personally, I mount it with DaemonTools and then copy from the virtual drive with Nero

But those who like Alcohol 120% will recommend that for burning those type of images.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:29 pm

Maybe that's why the guys over at DCF banned ccd images, racket's alternative sounds good, mounting the image and copying with 120%
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Pullmyfinger wrote:Maybe that's why the guys over at DCF banned ccd images, racket's alternative sounds good, mounting the image and copying with 120%
120% can burn them directly...
SegaK2
8-bit

by SegaK2 Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:50 pm

racketboy wrote:You shouldn't have to use Utopia, that is for sure.

Not sure if CloneCD is the best to use.

Personally, I mount it with DaemonTools and then copy from the virtual drive with Nero

But those who like Alcohol 120% will recommend that for burning those type of images.

Well...I tried the DaemonTools / Nero (Burning Drive) approach and the DC wouldn't recognize it as a valid disc. I'm probably setting something wrong -- when I go to burn the disc it warns me about the source being bigger than the destination (something about overburning).

When you have an .img mounted in DaemonTools the Windows OS doesn't see it as valid, right?

Maybe I should try 120%
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:30 am

If it asks you to overburn, always choose yes, if it asks you to correct data or something, always choose no. Also, you could just try a CDI or MDS image
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:34 am

Pullmyfinger wrote:If it asks you to overburn, always choose yes, if it asks you to correct data or something, always choose no. Also, you could just try a CDI or MDS image

I cant think of a single DC release which required overburn. He's probably got a bad rip.
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:52 am

I burned DC images with CloneCD and they worked fine, but I unfortunately don't remember what settings I used. The program is fine, though. A agree with Mozgus. Sounds like a bad image. You should try asking on the UG forums if anyone got that file to work.
SegaK2
8-bit

by SegaK2 Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks, guys!

Well - I burned disc #4 (or was it 5?) and half heartedly inserted it into my launch Dreamcast - the same Dreamcast rumored to be among the initial 'liquid cooled' manufacturing run and proudly emblazoned with 'Compatible with WindowsCE on the front and...

...expected it to choke and/or attempt to play ear pitching audio sound when up pops the Dreamcast menu. I have my DC set to Autoplay so I mumbled to myself, "Here we go again" as I selected the play option.

To my amazement up pops the game credits and before I knew it I was experiencing the mind tripping game that is Rez on the Dreamcast for the first time!! What an amazing game to be my 'first burn' Dreamcast experience. :)

The charm (for me and this .img at least) was to use Alcohol 120%

For others who might follow in my stumbling footsteps here is a step-by-step using 120%:

1. Launch Alcohol 120%

2. Select File\Open\ (Files of Type .CCD)

3. Highlight Name and Select 'Image Burning Wizard'

4. Disc Image Information is Displayed (Select Next)

5. Make sure to select 'Playstation' Datatype and then Click Start!

Wait for it to burn, insert into Dreamcast...and ENJOY! :D

More Game Info Here: Rez (Wikipedia)

(Rest assured that I will NOT be looking into how to order the 'Trance Vibrator') :p
Return to Technical Help