Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
sv650touring
16-bit

Xbox USB switching

by sv650touring Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:55 pm

ok, so I would like to put some internal RF receivers in the old Xbox so I won't have to put dongles on the outside. In case you are wondering it is for a scopius wireless keyboard with joystick mouse, for use with XBMC. I made some dongles but it just looks silly. I'm also considering some logitech wireless controllers, which come with big ugly dongles. Since I don't want to lose use of the controller ports, I would like to have the ports switched .

Now I know the people who can help me with this already know it, but for anyone just browsing...

USB has 2 power leads and 2 data leads. Xbox adds another yellow wire for god-knows-what, and I don't care about it, since it isn't even used for Xbox controllers. I want to have an internal device that I can switch OFF when I switch the port ON. I would strongly prefer the switches be locatedd on the front, near the port they affect.

Obviously I could just use 4PDT switches, but since those things have 12 damn leads, that means they are always big - probably too big for this application. Anyone know a source for tiny ones?

I could use a 4PDT relay, and a SPDT switch, but come on! How complicated does this need to be?

I have read that DPDT on the power leads won't work for some reason. Is this correct?

I have been told that a DPDT switch on the data leads works, but I'd rather not power 2 devices if I am not using one of them. Does anyone have any idea if this is a stupid concern for some reason? Maybe these RF doohickies are only using 10% of the ports capacity or something?

I had the idea to use one power and one data lead with a DPDT switch. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? Should I just stop being lazy and solder this up, and see what works for myself?

Anf Finally, does anyone have a better idea?
manasol
16-bit

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:47 pm

sv650touring
16-bit

by sv650touring Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Hey, I really appreciate that. I was searching for the wrong keywords to find that one I suppose.

It is nice that the flashing of the controller port acts as a SPST Normally Off switch - perfect for controlling a relay! I like that much more than a manual switch for both installation AND operation.

OK, so now my question is "can I get away with a DPDT realy, or do I have to go 4PDT?" Maybe have one power and one signal lead switched by the relay.

For size and cost reasons, this:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RLY-622/500/12_VDC_DPDT_DIP_RELAY_.html

seems like the best deal either way (pick up 10 at $1.25ea, and just use 2 of them to make a 4PDT). Anyone know of a better source for such parts?
manasol
16-bit

by manasol Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Yes but wouldn't it be 2 power?

Mouser.com if you know what your looking for.
Return to Technical Help