Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Saraph
64-bit

Sega Saturn Dead?

by Saraph Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 pm

I don't know if this belongs in this section at all, but I'm hoping someone can help me. My baby, the everlasting Saturn that I rarely ever used, has somehow died on me. It was working fine, playing all the games I put in it until, by some odd occurance, stopped working. The laser doesnt move, the dash doesnt appear, the only thing it does is have the green power light on. I know it's hooked up correctly, and either way having a game disc in there should promt some sort of loading, but I get nothing. I even tried taking the mod chip out, putting everything back to the way it was, and starting it up again. Still, no good. Is this a problem that has happened with anyone else? I really hope I can fix it.

Saturn:
Model 2
Chipped (From Racketboy)
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:47 pm

does anything show up on the screen?
what about if you take the chip out?
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Nothing shows up at all. It's like the video cable isnt plugged in at all, and I broke out my brand new audio/video cables to see if it was the old one that just died. So I still get channel 4 playing when I turn my Saturn on. With or without the chip in, I get the same results.

Oh, no sound either, nothing. The only thing my Saturn does is display the green power light. I hear no sound coming from the system and the disc does not spin at all.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm

wow -- maybe it is dead...
unless somebody knows something I don't

The green light is on, so it's getting power.
But it seems odd that neither the CD-drive is spinning OR the video is displaying.
If it was one of the two things, that would be understandable, but if neither is doing anything, it sounds bad.

Did anything happen to the machine lately?
When's the last time you used it?
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:25 pm

It was working perfectly until, well, I took it on a 3 mile trip. I wouldnt see that as bad, because I wrap my systems up in a large sweater, put it in my backpack, and set it gently in my car when I take them somewhere. I'm really careful with them, so this bothers me a lot.
ravenmgs
24-bit

by ravenmgs Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:36 am

Saraph wrote:It was working perfectly until, well, I took it on a 3 mile trip. I wouldnt see that as bad, because I wrap my systems up in a large sweater, put it in my backpack, and set it gently in my car when I take them somewhere. I'm really careful with them, so this bothers me a lot.

I would open it up and take off the metal sheilding on the mother board and clean it with some spray air, along with the laser lense.

My saturn died but I managed to resurect it by doing that. I am thinking a screw or a peace of solder had gotten lost some where on the mother board while i was modding it and just happened to role over something that would cause a short.
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 am

Old topic, I know, but my Saturn is working again! I starting working at a repair shop and learned a lot from those guys, and applied my new techie knowledge to my Saturn and bam, good as new! Ever see a Saturn on a Hi-Def Widescreen Plasma? It looks ugly... oh wells. ^^
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Check power block

by Mega-Dan Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:14 am

Check to see if the power block is still plugged in securely. It could be that you have a loose conneciton inside the saturn if it was moved. The most likely culprit is the wire that connects the power board to the main board, it might have wiggled loose. Unplug and replug it in. That should work. If that does not work, then it might be the ribbon the left side of the saturn (if the controller ports are in the front). Thats all the advice I can give you, I have not done a great deal of work with saturns.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:09 pm

Saraph wrote:Old topic, I know, but my Saturn is working again! I starting working at a repair shop and learned a lot from those guys, and applied my new techie knowledge to my Saturn and bam, good as new! Ever see a Saturn on a Hi-Def Widescreen Plasma? It looks ugly... oh wells. ^^

What did you do then?? My model 1 Saturn has the same issue. No audio, video, cd movement, but the power light is on.
Saraph
64-bit

by Saraph Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:29 pm

I already fixed my problem with the saturn. I appreciate the help though. I resurrected this dead topic to let everyone know it's fine, including racketboy. ^_^

So now I'm a computer repair person... Scary thought.
Return to Technical Help