Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Lodestar
128-bit

Need help with PS1 lasers and recalibration!

by Lodestar Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:20 am

Hi everyone,

I have two PSones that have lasers that are struggling to read discs, I suspect both of the factory lasers are out of calibration. I also ordered two replacements from ebay, not sure how good they are, but I think they also need calibration. I don't have an oscilloscope, and I've worked tirelessly for countless hours trying to get them all running with just some experimentation and potentiometer adjustments with a multimeter, but no luck.

Would anyone be willing to help me get these running again?
If you like retro games, come hang out on my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/lodey
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Renulph
Ziggy587

Re: Need help with PS1 lasers and recalibration!

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:24 am

Those replacement lasers are terrible. I have a 1001 model PS1 with a bad drive (uses the same model laser assembly that the PSone does) and got one of those Chinese replacement lasers for it, and it never worked. I was talking about it with another RB member (this was years ago) and he told me that all of the replacement PS1 replacement lasers are shit and none of them work. More recently, I was taking a look at a NeoGeo CD for someone. They had put in a Chinese replacement laser but it didn't work. We ended up getting yet ANOTHER Chinese replacement laser that I installed and that didn't work either. From what I've read about them, it's a crap shoot if you get one that actually works or not. I don't know if they're just made off spec or if the QC is so low that a huge percetage doesn't work. Or possibly they just get damaged in shipping because they're so fragile.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Lodestar
128-bit

by Lodestar Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:36 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Those replacement lasers are terrible. I have a 1001 model PS1 with a bad drive (uses the same model laser assembly that the PSone does) and got one of those Chinese replacement lasers for it, and it never worked. I was talking about it with another RB member (this was years ago) and he told me that all of the replacement PS1 replacement lasers are shit and none of them work. More recently, I was taking a look at a NeoGeo CD for someone. They had put in a Chinese replacement laser but it didn't work. We ended up getting yet ANOTHER Chinese replacement laser that I installed and that didn't work either. From what I've read about them, it's a crap shoot if you get one that actually works or not. I don't know if they're just made off spec or if the QC is so low that a huge percetage doesn't work. Or possibly they just get damaged in shipping because they're so fragile.

Yeah, they're garbage it seems, and the one seller never even sent the replacements they were supposed to. I had to hound them repeatedly and they swore they sent it (they didn't). I'd recommend to anyone to stay away from any non-factory laser from Chinese sellers. 2 for 2 didn't work.

What did you end up doing?

I also checked out your thread, I might have to hit you up about the FRAM thing! I just got a Saturn recently and the battery thing is such a foreign concept to me, I could probably do the mod myself but I'd like to speak with you personally about it if possible!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:07 am

Lodestar wrote:What did you end up doing?

I kept that 1001 PS1 and then jumped on the XStation when it was released. I have other PS1s with working drives, so I can use those for my physical collection. I haven't gotten around to installing the XStation yet, but it supports the 1001 model that I have.

Lodestar wrote:I also checked out your thread, I might have to hit you up about the FRAM thing! I just got a Saturn recently and the battery thing is such a foreign concept to me, I could probably do the mod myself but I'd like to speak with you personally about it if possible!

Yeah, I mean, if you put a fresh battery in there that's a good brand name it will last a decent amount of time. It's more of a pain in the ass for me because I'll go years without using my Saturn, at which point the battery will definitely be dead. You definitely want to make sure your backing up the system saves to a memory card or Action Replay. Which, by the way, definitely get an Action Replay since they're so cheap and have multiple benefits.

You really don't want to be using the system memory anyway since it's kind of small. Definitely get a memory card if you don't already have one. The US ones seem to be expensive now, but there are other options. It looks like the Sega brand Japan ones are affordable. The only time you run into trouble is using an AR to play imports, since you can't save directly to the AR you're forced to save to the system memory. Or for the few games that need a RAM cart, you'll have to save to the system memory.

The mod isn't terribly hard if you know how to solder. Feel free to post a thread if you want help or advice about it!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:32 pm

There's an ebay seller out of Tennessee that test all his lasers out before shipping. He orders them in bulk from China & told me a large chunk are DOA. They're the later models that work in the smaller PSOne model only.

You can make some adjustments to have them work in other OG models. I didn't have that luck personally & no PSOne.

Oiling the slide track & gears did fix 1 of my lasers, but not the other. Essentially the laser can't keep up with data positions on disc due to deposit build up and lack of lubricant on track.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:There's an ebay seller out of Tennessee that test all his lasers out before shipping. He orders them in bulk from China & told me a large chunk are DOA. They're the later models that work in the smaller PSOne model only.

You can make some adjustments to have them work in other OG models. I didn't have that luck personally & no PSOne.

Oiling the slide track & gears did fix 1 of my lasers, but not the other. Essentially the laser can't keep up with data positions on disc due to deposit build up and lack of lubricant on track.

Name?
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 am

o.pwuaioc wrote: Name?

Here's the guy I bought from that test the lasers before shipping.

https://ebay.com/usr/kergenjoth

Worth noting I still use the separately purchased (from him) extention ribbon cable lol. When I played laser PS1 merry-go-round, found out the connectors varied by laser model (location & length). So not all was lost. He also took my return no hassle. Great comm. Seems like a legit dude. Charging more due to testing and having to toss out DOA units.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Lodestar
128-bit

by Lodestar Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:31 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote: Name?

Here's the guy I bought from that test the lasers before shipping.

https://ebay.com/usr/kergenjoth

Worth noting I still use the separately purchased (from him) extention ribbon cable lol. When I played laser PS1 merry-go-round, found out the connectors varied by laser model (location & length). So not all was lost. He also took my return no hassle. Great comm. Seems like a legit dude. Charging more due to testing and having to toss out DOA units.

He doesn't seem to be selling them anymore unfortunately.
Return to Technical Help