Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for a working Sega Saturn drive assembly!! HELP

by stickem Wed May 12, 2021 9:52 pm

marurun wrote:There will come a time the spares are all toast, too. We need post-original-hardware solutions.

Yes, preferably not these sd card drives. Respectively, I want to be able to use my original games. It just takes me back the good old days iso's don't. If that makes any kinda sense.
marurun

by marurun Wed May 12, 2021 10:25 pm

stickem wrote:
marurun wrote:There will come a time the spares are all toast, too. We need post-original-hardware solutions.

Yes, preferably not these sd card drives. Respectively, I want to be able to use my original games. It just takes me back the good old days iso's don't. If that makes any kinda sense.

A lot depends on how long optical drives remain available in any form in the market and how long our optical media last. With any luck I won’t have to worry about it before I’m too old to care, but still…
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Saskatoonguy
8-bit

by Saskatoonguy Thu May 13, 2021 6:52 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I had the same issue 2 years ago. I just waited for one to show up on ebay... I still have alerts set - I'll let you know if I get an alert.

Is this something that people should buy an extra of when they're free for some reason? My Saturn is fine now, but will I be waiting years for a drive *when* it goes?

Absolutely not. I have never had a drive fail on me. I have only purchased units with faulty drives. The current unit I just got has a serious musty smell to it, probably wasn't kept somewhere great. The mobo is in great shape though. My personal Saturn was kept in a backyard shed for years. All it needed was a new laser and it booted up perfectly. From what I hear, these things are pretty darn reliable.

I don't have a replacement Sanyo laser on hand so, admittedly, I might be able to fix this unit with just a laser. I dropped in a JVC .0014 CD drive from another Saturn and the unit works 100% so I know my issue lies in the CD drive somewhere. And honestly, if my beloved Saturn lost it's CD drive, I would TRY to find a new drive but I would probably just get an ODE. This Saturn I bought was just for the nice white case and parts, I didn't intend to fix it but it is an easy one.
Return to Technical Help