Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Ack Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 am

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Bloody Wednesday either. It's sleazy but ultimately forgettable. If you're up for more sleaze, go see if Funland is still streaming somewhere.

For me, my last write up of the year is on The 2nd:

I feel like that "poster" art is terribly generic, which is pretty much par for the course: a bunch of B and C-list actors, a really dumb plot involving the CIA kidnapping the daughter of a Supreme Court Justice, and father-son bonding. Which is pretty much everything we want in trash cinema I suppose, so I ain't that mad.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Bloody Wednesday either. It's sleazy but ultimately forgettable. If you're up for more sleaze, go see if Funland is still streaming somewhere.

*adds to Watchlist*

Anyway, in honor of the new year and New Years resolutions, I've decided that all of January's new write-ups will be dedicated to "New" versions of old films. So let the rebooting and remakes commence!

First up:

Child's Play

You know the general story: Mom gets kid doll, doll is psychotic, people die. The difference is, this that instead of being possessed by a murderous psychopath, this Chucky is more like a demented and glitched Siri. Chucky isn't possessed, his programming has just been tampered with by a disgruntled (and now dead) employee, and Andy and his friends, thinking that this lapse in Chucky's programming safety protocols is cool, let him watch violent horror movies and teach him to stab things (stuffed things, but still.) Chaos and death ensue.

I ended up liking this one a lot more than I thought I would. For starters, Andy is much older (13), so he and his friends have a bit more agency to deal with the problems that eventually rear their ugly heads. And the other thing I like is that Chucky's fate is determined by a variety of factors, not just one employee being a jerk. I mean, yeah, all of his programming is intentionally messed up, but it's ultimately the kids who push him the rest of the way into becoming Mr. Stabby McStabberstein. The one thing I didn't like was that they somehow made Chucky even uglier than his scarred-up predecessor, and that by turning him into a machine they took away a huge chunk of his unique personality. So in the end I'm kind of torn.

But hey, at least I got to hear Mark Hamill stab a bunch of people. That's always nice.
Ack

by Ack Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:13 pm

My wife and I watched a lot of action movies over the holidays, and the worst ones are the ones I write about. Like this hunk of cheese:

The Hard Way

Michael Jai White, Luke Goss, and Randy Couture stumble and fight their way through a film set in Romania, with no budget, and directed by a guy who's been tackling Steven Segal movies. Recent Segal movies. The worst Segal movies. While Michael Jai White is the best thing about this film, the rest...not so good. From bad nightclub scenes to the fact no one ever changes clothes, and with a twist you'll guess about 15 minutes into the film, it's like a slow motion train wreck but without the carnal pleasures of watching metal twist and warp in directions it shouldn't.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:35 pm

There's 4 actors in that image... and only the men are named. Color me unsurprised.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:48 pm

In a movie that bad, consider her lucky to get out anonymously.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:19 pm

I'd recommend Drive for 90s direct to video action films. Surprisingly great, and of course cheesy as hell.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:42 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'd recommend Drive for 90s direct to video action films. Surprisingly great, and of course cheesy as hell.

I've been meaning to watch this. Love the opening song, nightcall (and the album it came from). I think I tried watching the first 15 minutes and got bored.

Edit: I think we are talking about 2 different movies named drive lol.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 pm

stickem wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I'd recommend Drive for 90s direct to video action films. Surprisingly great, and of course cheesy as hell.

I've been meaning to watch this. Love the opening song, nightcall (and the album it came from). I think I tried watching the first 15 minutes and got bored.

You're thinking of the Ryan Gosling one? That one is decent, but somehow I prefer the 90s one lol. This is the imdb link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116147/
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Ooh, with Mark Decascos? Man, you are digging to the bottom of a delightful barrel.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:
stickem wrote:

You're thinking of the Ryan Gosling one? That one is decent, but somehow I prefer the 90s one lol. This is the imdb link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116147/

Yeah you got me before I realized the dates and of course with this crowd it wasn't a movie I've heard about lol.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever