Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Ack Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:56 am

Golgo 14 wrote:Bittersweet because it'll be my one and only credit, but if you watch Soul and leave it on for the credits, you'll see my name after about 7 minutes and 20 seconds lol. So five stars for that.

The rest of the movie's pretty good too, I guess.

I watch credits, so whenever I one day see this film, I will see your name.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Ack wrote:I watch credits...

:) As do I. Always have, even when I was a little kid. I see it as a nice palate cleanser after being immersed in a film.

I don't have Disney+, so I don't know how they treat credits, but Netflix actively makes it hard to watch credits, as they try to immediately move you on to the next thing. You can't even fix that in your settings. Barbaric, if you ask me.
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
Ack

by Ack Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I watched a couple of films today on Netflix and nearly got caught both times by the Skip Credits function. It annoys the hell out of me every time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean. I watched a couple of films today on Netflix and nearly got caught both times by the Skip Credits function. It annoys the hell out of me every time.

Netflix is worse than Apple about knowing what’s good for you and not letting you get in a word edgewise.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:22 pm

You can change that in your Netflix settings, by the way. Log into your account through an internet browser and turn off auto play. That should fix it.
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You can change that in your Netflix settings, by the way. Log into your account through an internet browser and turn off auto play. That should fix it.

It stops it from going to the next episode, but it still minimizes the credits to a tiny window while it shows you some sort of other preview image and the button to play next. It doesn’t leave the credits running large on the screen. Netflix also won’t let you turn off the episode starting shortly after entering the Information screen for a title. It starts under the menu selections and if you just sit there a while the menu text fades away and you’re watching. It doesn’t wait for you to select an episode if you’re not going in strict order, it just plays what it thinks is next up while you rush to stop it from taking control out of your hands.

In short, the Netflix UI is a shit show. I’m hoping pressure from Disney+ will check them a bit.

And this behavior also changes based on the age of the Netflix interface or device. Older devices are better behaved!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:34 am

That is odd. Mine does not do that since I turned off auto play. Rather, I get a small “watch next” button in the bottom right for shows, and a small row of suggestions at the bottom of the screen for movies. Maybe it varies by device? :?
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Last holiday-themed movie this month:

Slay Belles

Krampus, the demon of Christmas, has gone on a rampage, and it's up to Santa and his reluctant, but very festive helpers to try to keep him from destroying the world.

Slay Belles is basically a slasher/monster movie dipped in perky Christmas spunk and copious amounts of glitter. The plot is dumb, but it's purposefully goofy dumb, which makes it more fun and enjoyable. It's also pretty short (if you cut out the credits it's barely an hour.), so it makes for a nice, quick watch if you need some horror-filled cheese for the holidays.
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:20 am

It's not Christmas without Eyes Wide Shut. I had forgotten how funny it is.

Or maybe it's just me.
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Ah, the last write-up of 2020:

Bloody Wednesday

Harry's burgeoning mental illness causes him to loose his job and his home. So his real estate brother sets him up at an abandoned hotel, apparently not considering that all that isolation is going to be counterproductive to his mental state.

This one is....odd. I've since read that it's based on the McDonald's Massacre from the 80s, but if it is it's only in the vaugest possible way. It's really just about one guys slow mental deterioration and how it frustrates him so much that he turns violent. The part that makes it odd is all of Harry's hallucinations that may or may not be hallucinations. It's kind of hard to tell and the movie can throw a few curve balls at you with them in the middle of being serious. Which is part of its problem. It's a film that wants to be deep, but just doesn't have the resources or skill to pull it off.

Nice attempt though, I guess.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever