Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by stickem Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Not a good actor but had a run at solid films that were fun to watch. Those days are long gone though . First seen him in moonstruck, as a teen, and thought he was dam good in that. What happened lol?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 pm

stickem wrote:Not a good actor but had a run at solid films that were fun to watch. Those days are long gone though . First seen him in moonstruck, as a teen, and thought he was dam good in that. What happened lol?

Oh, for sure, in the latter half of the 1990s he had a string of fun popcorn flicks.
marurun

by marurun Tue May 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Maybe if his range went beyond "clueless rube" (mostly) and "evil bastard" (maybe just Face Off?)...
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 05, 2020 3:21 pm

I'd call him a great actor, but it all depends on whether or not the writers and directors takes advantage of his outlandish demeanor. Vampire's Kiss is a great example. He did a great touch of making up an accent while at work to come across as high class, but that accent is gone when he's in therapy.

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans is another great example. Herzog is even more outlandish, so those two working together complemented each other so well.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:I'd call him a great actor, but it all depends on whether or not the writers and directors takes advantage of his outlandish demeanor. Vampire's Kiss is a great example. He did a great touch of making up an accent while at work to come across as high class, but that accent is gone when he's in therapy.

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans is another great example. Herzog is even more outlandish, so those two working together complemented each other so well.

Never heard of any of those movies you just listed, maybe that's his problem. He used to act somewhat. Now he comes across as an a actor that is acting like he's acting if that makes sense.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 05, 2020 4:43 pm

I know Vampire's Kiss is one of his earlier ones. The latter is from like 2009 I think? Looking at his filmography it's seem like he's just going into whatever now instead of actually trying.

Vampire's Kiss turned into a meme a long time ago. One of those rage comics:

REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed May 06, 2020 12:01 am

Not a movie, but I recently seen Hollywood, a seven-episode Netflix limited series from Ryan Murphy.

Follows a group of aspiring actors and filmmakers in post-World War II Hollywood as they try to make it in Tinseltown — no matter the cost. Each character offers a unique glimpse behind the gilded curtain of Hollywood's Golden Age, spotlighting the unfair systems and biases across race, gender and sexuality that continue to this day. ... Hollywood exposes and examines decades-old power dynamics, and what the entertainment landscape might look like if they had been dismantled.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed May 06, 2020 10:18 pm

New write-up of the week:

The Being

A highly amusing, if not terribly disjointed monster movie with excellent effects that stars one of the film's producers and...Martin Landau. Weird, but fun.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu May 07, 2020 8:55 am

As always, great review, Michi!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun May 10, 2020 12:39 am

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Looks nice, but that's it.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever