Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by fastbilly1 Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Highlander. I am ripping my DVD collection to avi and as I rip them I end up watching my favorite parts from each film. Right now I am ripping the Jurassic Park trilogy.
Ack

by Ack Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 am

I just watched Caddyshack for the first time. I'd never seen it before...while I don't think it quite lives up to the hype I've heard about it over the years, I thought everybody gave a good performance. Makes me miss seeing Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, and Chevy Chase in movies, though...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ack

by Ack Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey, two in a row! I just watched Con Air. It was entertaining, Steve Buscemi did a great job.

Oh, and Nicholas Cage faking a Southern accent makes him sound like he's mentally incapable.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 pm

The Chinese live-action version of Wicked City. DL'ed a subbed DVD-rip from Cinemageddon, where a couple months prior they only had a VHS rip with dual language subs.

Anyway, I've already seen the anime version and loved it. And then I saw this version and loved it as well.

Anyway, check it out if you can find it.

Also, watched part of this old documentary that I found on Cinemageddon called "Devil's Playground", which is about this Amish rite of passage called "rumspringa", which according to Wikipedia:

generally refers to a period of adolescence for members of the Amish, a subsect of the Anabaptist Christian movement, that begins around the age of sixteen and ends when a youth chooses baptism within the Amish church or instead leaves the community. The vast majority choose baptism and remain in the church. Not all Amish use this term (it does not occur in Hostetler's extended discussion of adolescence), but in sects that do, Amish elders generally view this as a time for courtship and finding a spouse.

And here's a synopsis from Wikipedia:

According to the film, at the age of 16, Amish youth are allowed to depart from many of the Amish rules, though the scholarship on the subject does not support this view of a normative rumspringa. The young people sample life outside of the Amish community. Many drive cars, get jobs, have romantic and sexual relationships, and most experiment with tobacco, alcohol, and drugs.
One Amish youth whom the film follows, Faron – a preacher's son – even turns to drug dealing to satisfy his habit. Faron is eventually apprehended by the authorities and aids them in arresting another dealer. The movie continues as each subject faces a variety of challenges and pressures from both the "English World" and the "Amish World" of their families. Some return to their families, others do not. One girl is baptized but later leaves the Amish church, resulting in her family shunning her.
According to the documentary, after the period of Rumspringa, "almost 90%" of Amish youth decide to rejoin the church.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:24 am

Last night, I watched 20th Century Oz. It's this really cool version of The Wizard of Oz, set in modern-day Australia (the film was made in the '70s). In it, a groupie named Dorothy travels to see The Wizard, an androgynous rock star. Along the way, she hitches a ride with a dim yet friendly surfer (analogous to the Scarecrow), a dirty greaseball mechanic (analogous to the Tinman), and a coward pretending to be a tough biker (analogous to the Cowardly Lion), while avoiding a trucker (analogous to the Wicked Witch of the West) whose brother he thinks she killed (the character in question was struck by the van she was traveling in, though she wasn't driving it).

Yet another great Oz film, in more ways in one.
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:41 am

Just watched The Great Escape. Good times with that movie, absolutely classic.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

by RadarScope1 Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:08 am

Saw "Burn After Reading" a couple night ago. If you like Coen Brothers flicks, you will like it. It's classic Coens: a big gang of idiots, a blackmail plot, and just enough blood and guts to be gory/funny.
Ack

by Ack Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:53 pm

So, I finally watched Casablanca. I was a big fan of Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre before this movie, but...damn. That was...

...I honestly believe that may be the best movie I've ever seen. The characters were so lovably dirty, the plot so entangled. The ending was great down to the very last line. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this movie. It had action, suspense, romance, drama...everything! They just don't make films like that anymore.

I've seen Citizen Kane, and it is marvelous in its technicalities and cinematography, the acting is superb and the film is a marvel in almost all respects, but...well, Casablanca just blew it away for me. Now I can truly understand why so many people say it's one of the best movies ever made. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, SEE IT. It's good. It's really good.
Haoie
128-bit

by Haoie Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 am

The Princess Bride.

As suggested by a girl.

It was better than I expected, breaks a lot of genre cliches.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
raztat
128-bit

by raztat Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Everything is Illuminated, Children of Men, Green Street Hooligans, Speed Racer, and The Forbidden Kingdom where the last movies I watched. I liked them all but Green Street was the best out of the bunch. It made it to my top 10 movies list. Its that good, go see it.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever