Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Bootaaay
128-bit

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Bootaaay Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Ack wrote:Electric Dragon 80,000 Volts

This.

Goddamn, I love Tadanobu Asano and I love this film - well worth checking out.

I'd also personally reccomend (although neither are strictly action or horror films);

Bird People in China - seriousley amazing road movie from Takashi Miike. My favourite Miike film of all time.

Vital - creepy pschological thriller/drama starring Tadanobu Asano and directed by another of my favourites, Shinya Tsukamoto.

REPO Man wrote:I'm also considering trying to get the new Jet Li film "The Warlords"

Well worth a watch, i've got the blu-ray version and I enjoyed it for the most part (it's not amazing or anything though)..
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:08 pm

Hey Bootaaay, have you seen Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl? It's another of Asano's movies, and I loved every minute of it. Seriously, of all the movies I've seen with him in them...I don't think I've ever seen one I didn't like.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Ack wrote:I do know a few Japanese films that have been brought over but still seem to be pretty obscure in their own right. Considering the films you seem to watch, you've probably heard of them, but I'll list them just in case.

English name (Japanese name)
If only one name is listed, that's all its known as.

Burst City (Bakuretsu toshi)
Electric Dragon 80,000 Volts
Tokyo Rampage (Poruno sutâ)
Junk: Shiryo-gari
Infection (Kansen)
Marebito

Ok, so this last one's a comedy done by Takashi Miike during his "Direct to DVD Yakuza film" days...

Osaka Tough Guys (Naniwa yuukyôden)

Like I said, you've probably seen all these, but if you haven't I'd suggest giving them a look.

I've actually seen Infection before. Back when I got Showtime Beyond (which Charter Digital has but DirecTV doesn't), it'd come on all the time.

And I've heard of Junk and Electric Dragon.

But I really meant nothing here in the states.
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Ack wrote:Hey Bootaaay, have you seen Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl? It's another of Asano's movies, and I loved every minute of it. Seriously, of all the movies I've seen with him in them...I don't think I've ever seen one I didn't like.

I've had it on my HDD for ages, but have yet to watch it and your post actually reminded me it's there, so I guess i'll get to watching it soon. And yeah, I can't personally think of a bad Asano movie out of all the ones i've seen him in (Bright Future, Electric Dragon, Gojoe, Ichi the Killer, Last Life in the Universe, Vital, Zatoichi).

Anyone here seen Bright Future, btw? I managed to see it at the London Film Festival a few years back and was totally blown away - the film was pitched to me as a Japanese monster movie about a Jellyfish, obviousley I was totally intrigued, but ultimately that description would prove to be, so, so wrong as Bright Future is a enigmatic and fragile insight into the disillusionment of Japanese youth. Granted, if the film had been pitched to me on that basis, I probably never would have gone to see it - but i'm really glad I did, as Bright Future is an amazing study of two characters almost totally detatched from normal society, with a sedate but intriguing plotline including a few shocks and twists (and there are indeed Jellyfish :mrgreen:)
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Nope, haven't seen it, though now after watching the trailer and reading a description, I'm gonna have to get my hands on it!
raztat
128-bit

by raztat Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm

REPO Man wrote:Baby Mama, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The two have a gr8 on-screen dynamic, but the film falls short in the long run. IMO: rent it first.

Watched it the other night and fell to sleep during it. Not a funny movie at all.
Haoie
128-bit

by Haoie Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:46 am

Scary Movie 4, on TV.

Pretty bleh, but that's what I expected.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 pm

I tried to watch Sun Taam (aka Mad Detective) last night, but the audio was outta sync, so now I gotta figure out how to fix it.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:35 pm

2 more weeks 'til IRON MAN!!!!!!
(I know I could have torrent'ed it but I gotta see it on the big screen...)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 pm

What country do you live in again...?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever