Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by Raging Justice Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:30 pm

RCBH928 wrote:⬆︎ I thought this was the poster of a new Star Wars movie :lol: :lol:

It's better than the entire Star Wars sequel trilogy with that awful Rey Skywalker that's for sure
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Raging Justice wrote:It's better than the entire Star Wars sequel trilogy with that awful Rey Skywalker that's for sure

Honestly, I thought Daisy Ridley did a fine job with what she had to work with. The worst part of the sequel trilogy was J. J. Abrams.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:58 pm

marurun wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:It's better than the entire Star Wars sequel trilogy with that awful Rey Skywalker that's for sure

Honestly, I thought Daisy Ridley did a fine job with what she had to work with. The worst part of the sequel trilogy was J. J. Abrams.

Agree. The sequel trilogy would have been much better without him.
Golgo 14
128-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm not a JJ fan, but if they were going to going to give it to him, they should have had him do the full trilogy. I think the results would still be pretty lousy, but at least it would have been coherent. Instead they were playing a game of exquisite corpse, and then they brought JJ back to awkwardly return it to where he started, which didn't really please anyone.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:16 am

Raging Justice wrote:I actually think Holland has been the worst Spider-Man, but No Way Home is a really well put together movie that actually got me to like him. I think No Way Home is FAR better than the previous two movies he's in and is the only Tom Holland Spider-Man movie that anyone will talk about years from now. It thoroughly leaves the previous two entries in the dust. It's like they actually tried with this one

I enjoyed the Tom Holland trilogy way more than the previous Spider-Man movies. That third Toby McGuire flick was so bad, it checked me out of comic book movies for about a decade. I will never forget seeing that jazz club dance scene in theaters, it was just awful. Lmao.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:12 pm

The last two movies from March:

Blood Harvest

A young woman returns home from college, only to find her family missing and the house vandalized. Instead of seeing anything particularly wrong with this, she sticks around the suspicious homestead, and as a result, her friend and boyfriend go missing too. Meanwhile, a clearly mentally unstable man is wandering around town dressed as a clown, and no one seems at all perturbed about by it.

Oh, lookie, a Bill Rebane film. The same guy who brought us gems like Monster a Go-Go and The Giant Spider Invasion. And it stars Tiny Tim, of all people. Why? Who the hell knows. I guess he must have needed the money, cause lord knows it wasn't for the story. He does manage to be the most interesting character in the film though, so I guess that's a plus. Though, considering how dumb everyone else in this movie is, that might not be saying much.

Anyway, it's a fun, though mundane, enough slasher with a likable enough lead, even though I often felt the need to reach into the screen and smack her a few times for acting so dumb.

Island of Blood

A group of small-town actors are sent to an island to shoot a film. But instead they end up stalked by a crazed killer, whose plan seems to kill them one by one, all according the the repetitive lyrics of a strange metal song.

Have you read Agatha Christie’s novel, And Then There Were None? Cause the movie is basically a modernized horror adaptation of And Then There Were None. Which sounds cool in theory, except that it ends up totally sucking. Because it was filled with basically zero budget and the plot makes no sense. Which, in itself makes no sense, because they had one of the worlds most well regarded mystery novels right in front of their freakin' faces to draw inspiration from, and they still couldn't pull off a coherent story. How sad is that? Of course, it's also hard as hell to see anything because of the terrible lighting, and the editing is so choppy that you're going to often wonder what's going on. And then you're forced to listen to that damn song at every crime scene, over and over again, and you're wondering what kind of motive the killer must have had where they not only meticulously planned each murder, but also bought up multiple copies of the song single, and multiple Walkman's to play it on, dragged them around the island with them, and then synced each tape so that the lyrics corresponded with each murder. Forget the murders, THAT'S creepy.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:38 pm

Note wrote:I enjoyed the Tom Holland trilogy way more than the previous Spider-Man movies. That third Toby McGuire flick was so bad, it checked me out of comic book movies for about a decade. I will never forget seeing that jazz club dance scene in theaters, it was just awful. Lmao.

Same. The MCU Spider-Man films are amazing, and not just because...

Tom Holland is HAWT!

Haven't seen the new one yet. Or any of the other MCU movies with Spider-Man in it (including Infinity War).

And I saw the third Tobey Maguire one in theaters, which someone made it worse. Strange, since seeing the Doom movie in theaters made it better, but when I tried to watch it on DVD, I was very quickly like "nope". Granted I probably only rented it for the original Xbox Doom 3 demo on the disc.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:17 pm

It's April, which is my unofficial "Foreign Movie Month", but I haven't posted in almost 4 weeks, so here are all the things....:

Uzumaki

The movie based on the comic by Junji Ito. It follows the original storyline to a point, but then it completely diverges, because they started production before the comics were finished. So the filmmakers had to come up with their own ending. Which, yeah, it's open-ended and it sucks, but I can deal with it. What bothers me isn't so much that they had to come up with their own ending, but the fact that the filmmakers start to give you their own explanations as to what's going on, but then they give up on those explanations partway through, and completely drop their own plot threads. THAT I found far more irksome.

Other than that it's a pretty fun, gory, and completely bonkers horror film from Japan. You know, the kind of stuff you expect.

The Tag-Along

Ah, a Taiwanese horror movie. Don't think I've seen one of these before. It's... Well, it's not bad, but it's not great either. The characters are likable and the cinematography is quite lovely. But the story is predictable and gets a little too preachy towards the end, and the twitchy CGI child could have used a bit more work in order to not look quite so funky. But the CGI isn't used too much, so as long as they don't overdo it I'm sure any followups they make will turn out just fine....

The Tag-Along 2

Aaaand they overdid it. Way to go, filmmakers. It's like they decided that the only proper way to do a sequel was to add more to every aspect of the production, and that mentality didn't do them any favors. The characters are still likable enough, and the cinematography is still quite strong. But the movie feels WAY too bloated, the story is even more preachy than before, and the CGI is about 10x more prevalent, which just makes it that much easier to highlight all of it's flaws. I do appreciate that they tried to give some backstory to the ghost girl, but at the same time they also failed to give her motivation for her actions, which just leaves you with more questions than when the film started. Oh well. Again, good effort, but not quite there yet. Better luck next time, Taiwan.

Things

Ahhhhhhhhh!

What the hell did I just watch!?! Where was Ack?! He's supposed to warn me about crap like this! OMG, I think I'm in physical pain. The crappy, unfollowable story, the horrible characters, the absolute technical ineptitude.... I....I think I need to go lie down for a while.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:45 pm

Michi, if you have The Criterion Channel and haven't seen it yet, check out The Lure. It's an awesome Polish rock musical retelling of The Little Mermaid set in 1980s Poland's club scene.
Ack

by Ack Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:37 pm

No warning I could give would be more devastating than that mustache, Michi.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever