What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

Well, I watched Where Eagle's Dare last night. While not realistic, I'd say it was still a great ride. A really good WWII action film about a mostly British operation. Lots of gun fire and explosions.

Also, I watched The Haunting over the weekend. And yes, the original, none of that remake crap Hollywood keeps trying to peddle to me. Some seriously awesome camera angles in that film...if you've never seen it, give it a look, it's worth it!

I watch a lot of movies...
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

I watched the blu-ray of S.P.L the other night, and while the acting was a bit ropey and the plot quite average, the action was as frenetic and spectacular as you'd expect and really made good on what would have been an otherwise average Hong Kong cop thriller. Sammo's still awesome, even after all these years, but it's Donnie Yen's choreograpgy that really saves the day for S.P.L. Next up, the blu-ray of The Proposition :)
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

Watched Defiantly Maybe this weekend, it was really good. Ryan Reynolds is becoming one of my most watched actors, right now it is Seth Rogen.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Rewatched Suspiria recently.
link343
24-bit

Post by link343 »

So, I just watched Purple Rain. It was good. Plot was average, acting iffy. A lot better than Prince's later films. Some moments made me lol! Its a good movie if you're in an 80's mood.

IMHO: Album > Movie
profshiny
16-bit

Post by profshiny »

Last week I watched V for Vendetta. If I hadn't loved the graphic novel so much I'd have thought it it *amazing*, but even though the movie didn't exactly miss the point, some of the plot changes were disagreeable. Still a great movie, especially if you watch it before you read it.

Yesterday I watched maybe half of Postal. Not even going to critique it since I knew what I was getting in to. It *is* Uwe Boll, right? Not that that makes it unwatchable, I actually enjoyed his House of the Dead. It's not good enough to compel me to watch it in one sitting, but not so terrible I won't finish it before I send it back to Netflix.

--Edit--

Watchable if you are planning to see a movie you know will be bad, or if you just want to see Uwe Boll murder lots of children and get shot in the c--k.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Foreign Exchange (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1146283/). So-so, kinda funny, really short, not enough tits, and the French dude Laurent had a TOTALLY BOGUS accent.
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

Green Street Hooligans. Go watch this movie now. You will not reget it. Charlie Hunnam is a great actor as is Elijah Wood.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Baby Mama, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The two have a gr8 on-screen dynamic, but the film falls short in the long run. IMO: rent it first.

Death at a Funeral. Pretty funny, but a rental at best.

Riki-Oh (Story of Ricky). An ultraviolent Chinese import from '91. A likely inspiration for the Mortal Kombat games, this film sports incredible fight sequences laced with gory effects.

Also plan on watching Crows Zero and Mad Detective soon. I heard about them from AOTS's Asian Underground segment. They're not out here in the States, but I found them. One was already hardsubbed, while the other one required me to search for the subs and hardsub it myself.

Can anyone else recommend any good foreign films, preferably action or horror, that aren't in English, not out in the States yet, and has English subs for it already? I'm also considering trying to get the new Jet Li film "The Warlords" (also heard about it the same way as Crows Zero and Mad Detective).
Ack

Post by Ack »

I do know a few Japanese films that have been brought over but still seem to be pretty obscure in their own right. Considering the films you seem to watch, you've probably heard of them, but I'll list them just in case.

English name (Japanese name)
If only one name is listed, that's all its known as.

Burst City (Bakuretsu toshi)
Electric Dragon 80,000 Volts
Tokyo Rampage (Poruno sutâ)
Junk: Shiryo-gari
Infection (Kansen)
Marebito

Ok, so this last one's a comedy done by Takashi Miike during his "Direct to DVD Yakuza film" days...

Osaka Tough Guys (Naniwa yuukyôden)

Like I said, you've probably seen all these, but if you haven't I'd suggest giving them a look.